Is 90 dB for 45 Minutes Too Loud?

Discussion in 'Support' started by worriedd, Mar 12, 2018.

1. worriedd

worriedd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/03/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluid, from a cold. No noise damage or infection.
      So I got a car ride today and we were playing music, which was around 90 dB, and it did feel a little loud but it was only for 45 minutes. I also measured how loud it was without the music and it was about 85 dB.

Was this too loud? Could 90 dB for 45 minutes really cause any hearing loss? I’d be grateful for any replies.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      How did you measure 90 dB?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      National guide line is 84 db but I go by 80 db to keep ears safe.
      Love glynis x

4. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      I would avoid it, or just use plugs. But damage? I doubt it.
      Even if you would take 80 dB as limit, it's supposed to be for 8 hours, which makes 83 for 4 hours, 86 for 2 hours 89 for 1 hour.

As you can see, I would not make a habit out of it, but you'll probably be fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      worriedd

worriedd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/03/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I used my decibel reader on my phone but I’m pretty good at telling how loud things are now so I would say it was around 90 even without that. I very rarely would do it but I felt it was safe enough. I once got a car ride where they were playing well over 100db noise, and I told them to turn it down within a minute. So is the general consensus that I shouldn’t have got any hearing loss? Thanks for all the replies!

6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I wouldn't worry about it.

7. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      the decibel readers on the phone are not accurate at all. You measure 80 db's without music? That can't be right. I bet it wasn't 90 db probably a little over 80 db.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      worriedd

worriedd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/03/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, I think it’s as usual because I’m focusing on it more which is the issue. Yeah they’re probably not that accurate but I think they give you a good idea, but the lower the better. Thank you for the replies everyone

9. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      buy a little decibel reader the does A weighting they're not expensive. I bring one into restaraunts and bars.

10. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Decibel apps are without a doubt questionable at best... But depending on the car and the road, 85 sounds feasible. Economy cars, sports cars, and older vehicles (especially with lower profile tires, low profile performance tires being the worst) are quite loud depending on the smoothness of the road and speed at which you are traveling because they lack adequate sound insulation. My 7 series is very quiet on any road, whereas my old school E30 3 series is only reasonable on extremely smooth surfaces. Condition of the exhaust system is also a factor, the steel wool (sometimes fiberglass or ceramic, which wears even faster) that resonators and mufflers are packed with degrades over time, increasing engine noise. Loosely fit interior panels also increase the noise, even something as mundane as not having a spare tire in the trunk can increase interior decibels by allowing more low frequency resonance to transfer into the cabin. It really depends on the vehicle...

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      worriedd

worriedd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/03/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I see what you mean it does look quite cheap and probably a lot more accurate but I quite like having it on my phone as no one can see what I’m doing. I’ve looked it up and most websites say cars are usually around 70-80 dB so I think it makes sense. I just worry that I’ll have damaged my ears with the music even tho I knows it’s unlikely☹️

12. jonjoseph

jonjoseph Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Menieres
      I would have a different approach to loud music. Try to read as much as you can about the cochlea which is the precious part of your ears to preserve at all costs . Learn how incredibly delicate and brilliant the design is . Get a feel for what you risk for a paltry few hours with deafening music .Then look up the long list of musicians who have loud tinnitus and cannot escape it .Be serious about your hearing rather than casual .It can bite you in a nasty way much later .

13. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Time to use another app lol. Absolutely impossible that noise was 85 db in car without any music.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      worriedd

worriedd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/03/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think I am quite sensible with what I do and don’t do but I don’t want to stop living my life. I suppose I should mention my tinnitus was not caused my noise exposure. I did also have a small spike the day before this. I know the dB apps aren’t great but I think people but i do think they give you a good idea.

15. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      No, I have one reliable app and if I compare with some free apps they can be off by 10-15 db

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      worriedd

worriedd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/03/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh, Can I ask what app you use? I think I will just go 24 hours without being in a loud environment, if for nothing else just to make myself feel better.