Is Habituation Possible When Tinnitus Is Unpredictable?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MichaelDC, Dec 6, 2015.

1. MichaelDC
      No Mood

MichaelDC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I understand from reading the forums that habituation occurs over time if your T is a steady, constant ring that never changes much. However, my T changes constantly in sound, pitch, and intensity in a completely unpredictable way.

How is habituation going to be possible when my T is constantly jumping up and surprising me in a new way? Has anyone else habituated to this kind of T?

Thanks.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi MichaelDC,
      It is harder to habituate but over a very long time you will get use to hearing lots of changes in sound and strength and tinnitus in one ear or both ears or head.
      You might not habituate but your reaction will lesson and anxiety and stress as you learn new skills to help cope with the unwanted emotions.
      Mood swings are common but if don't lift sometimes counselling and medication is needed.
      Habituation just means you can still hear the sound but can go about your normal day with out giving a dam about the sound ( hard to do but does happen for the majority of people but some still carry on to struggle and need lots of support and maybe hearing aids or maskers ).....lots of love glynis