Is It Really True In-EarPhones Are Dangerous to Tinnitus Sufferers?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Searing Wave, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Searing Wave

Searing Wave Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I have read a lot of debates about this but I felt the need to open this thread because I do not know what to believe anymore...

There are people who say that in-ear phones are perfectly safe if used at reasonable volume and there are just as many people who say that no matter the volume you risk causing further damage, aggravating your tinnitus and/or hearing loss.

Being able to listen to my phone with my earphones when outside was really important to me...but now I am paralyzed by this fear and doubt about it and can't enjoy listening to them even on the rare occasions when I try to nowadays.

I would do anything to know the truth about this subject.

2. fhs
      Fine

fhs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun range
      They are safe at a reasonable volume. I'd like to know what some people think on how they could damage ears if they are at a reasonable volume.

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I'm afraid you aren't going to get what you want.

You will likely find the exact same arguments in this thread. From the "don't use headphones ever" dogma to the "do whatever you want" liberal advice.
      The truth is that nobody can tell you for sure since nobody really understands tinnitus that well, let alone your tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      At a low or reasonable volume it shouldn't be any different from listening to your stereo at a reasonable volume. The thing about headphones is it's easy to go above a reasonable volume especially if you are listening to them in noisy environments. If there is a lot of ambient noise and you have to crank up the volume just to be able to hear, I wouldn't use it in that environment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      I have asked for this advice as well, and indeed you will get two answers.
      For me I made a distinction, I only use them if I NEED them. Jobwise etc, and even than limit their use.
      I wouldn't use them for fun, not worth -any- risk, how slim it might be.
      But that's just my way of dealing with it.

6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Indeed.
      Noise Cancelling headphones help in that respect as you don't have to crank up the volume that much to compete ambient noise.

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      The advice of Prof David Baguley is that at low volume they should be ok and for people who don't have White Noise Generators or hearing aids then playing white noise or natural sounds through them at low volume can give tinnitus sufferers a break .

I would say keep it low but for some people it can cause aggravation and spike tinnitus .

I'm fine with them but my tinnitus is due to Menieres....lots of love glynis

8. Kibakiru
      Creative

Kibakiru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 28 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown | PT: Unknown
      Personally, I can't use earphones. I prefer headphones since they don't shoot sound directly down the ear canal, but I still play it pretty safe and don't wear them often (because my tinnitus sometimes does spike after listening even at a 2% volume). I think that at a reasonable volume and with frequent breaks from your earphones, you should be fine. But, In the end, it is your choice. None of us can really predict if it'll make your tinnitus worse since tinnitus is different for everybody. But the same rule applies: Play it safe.

I don't think earphones/headphones are worth the risk.

9. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
    10. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      I wouldn't risk using headphones or earphones if you have tinnitus, if tinnitus is caused by loud noise then it would be a bigger risk.

This of it this way, if you hurt yourself would you risk hurting yourself again??

Massive depression due to tinnitus is not good for mental health. Believe me.

11. SomberMusings

SomberMusings Member

Tinnitus Since:
      A few months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      I know this is an old thread but from what I’ve seen so far on this forum is that 90% of the people here either have severe tinnitus or OCD so you should take everything here with a grain of salt. People who have tinnitus and are okay with it, or it progressively got better (which is most people) don’t come here. It’s the hypochondriacs and those who have nowhere else to turn who do. I think earphones are fine for most people as long as they don’t blast the music and don’t listen to it too frequently, like I did when I used to maladaptive daydream a lot. It didn’t really damage my hearing, it just made my ears really fucking dirty. Most professionals advise keeping the volume under 60% and only listening 60 minutes a day. If you have Hyperacusis, then maybe avoid earphones altogether. People on this site need to lighten the fuck up. Playing it safe all the time is what leads people to depression and anxiety, take it from me. If you habituated and your ears aren’t as sensitive, a little bit of music isn’t going to kill you.