Is It True about Centralization?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hotaru, Feb 13, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      I don't know if I'm right about this, but I read that when the tinnitus becomes centralized (meaning you hear it in your head more than directly in your ears) it becomes more difficult to treat?

2. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      Meaning more difficult to habituate to?

3. Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      No, I mean to get treated better, maybe finding a cause easier. I'm not able to habituate, since my T changes daily, and now it's becoming more in my head. My head and ears also feel hot yet there's no fever.

4. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      That is what I think I read in a few places too (when I was reading about this stuff a couple of years ago). Although, I believe it is an open question whether the tinnitus would improve if there really was a way to successfully treat hearing loss. I got the impression that the pathological synchronisation of neurons spreads over time to affect other areas of the brain, making it harder to eradicate. I'm not too clever at understanding this stuff, so don't take what I say too seriously unless it chimes with other things you read. I suspect that there is no single unambiguous answer to this question, but that generally speaking you are correct.

5. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      I never understood this mechanism and wondered about this myself.
      It is always in your brain. It is in your brain where the neurons fire franticly because there is no input any more from the ears.
      I wonder if people that have different tinnitus frequencies in different ears can ever experience tinnitus inside the brain. So as an example 4 kHz in left ear and 8 kHz in right ear. You will always experience tinnitus coming from the ears in this situation????
      I know (this is probably far fetched) when you are using headphones with music in phase you experience the sound in the centre of your head ( inside the brain experience). When the music is out of phase you experience the sound coming from both ears (ears experience). Like I said, perhaps far fetched and not the mechanism that is working with tinnitus.

6. Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      I understand what you're saying. But my sounds aren't necessarily central. The sounds in my right ear are different than the sounds in my left, and both of those are different than the sounds in my head. Basically, I'm bombarded with sound.

7. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      Sorry to hear that. But I still do wonder if it really is more difficult to get rid of tinnitus if over time it gets central (when tinnitus frequency in both ears is the same) or you experience the tinnitus in your ears.
      Actually the way it is now. We can not get rid of tinnitus one way or the other. Only habituate.
      Perhaps this AM-101 is the first drug that can do something.