Is There a Relation Between Floaters and Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by aniketpatil, Jun 20, 2016.

1. aniketpatil
      Balanced

aniketpatil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For me tinnitus started in November and just after a month later floaters started appearing. So is there any correlation between Floaters and Tinnitus? People on this forum with floaters share your views.

2. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      I Believe so, i never had floaters before, and now i have them, kinda bothering when outside and its sunny, but i dont pay attention to it anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aniketpatil
      Balanced

aniketpatil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah they are annoying as hell

4. Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      I also have adies tonic pupil syndrome, super super rare mostly in women where i can make my left eye dialates on its own. So the floaters have really gotten worse but I choose to ignore them. It's weird that it's my left ear when I get T in March but I've had ATPS since September.

5. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      I have had floaters for years befor I got t and see no difference or increase. I think peoples brains get hyper sensitive about ear noise and perhaps it carries through to vision as well.

6. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Bizarrely, I got some weird visual disturbance a couple weeks back I think after taking some meds for depression and anxiety all at once and doing some hard exercising all at the same time. Maybe this is a coincidence but now I notice if I go outside and look at the trees it seems like I am looking at a light rain sprinkle going on. It isn't too bad though.

7. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      There is no way to detect a correlation between the two. All I know is my problematic floater showed up suddenly when I was 15, and I don't know when my tinnitus started, because I was doped up on antidepressants for years to help deal with the floater (0 improvement in mood), so I don't remember when during this period the T started. I think it was around the same time but I'm not sure.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aniketpatil
      Balanced

aniketpatil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      When you talk about floaters and tinnitus and people be like "Its nothing get over these stupid things"

• Agree Agree x 3
    9. whale
      No Mood

whale Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/25/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Myofascial crap Bruxism, a jackhammer, stress who knows
      could it be benzos? I had floaters but they stopped after I stopped taking benzos?

10. shrimp
      Balanced

shrimp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SCDS, Possibly Ciprofloxacin also.
      I feel like there is. I got T and floaters (never had any before and yes I was always hypervigilant and anxiety prone also before T) around the same time.

11. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Floaters are related to anxiety. Your brain usually ignores floaters but when you're anxious,it notices them. They've been there all your life. Sometimes you just notice them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Emmi
      Not amused

Emmi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      I do think there is a connections as well! I did notice floaters two years before the ringing started. Although my T was caused by loud noise, but I think that something is making us neurologically prone for developing T.. and maybe this is linked to why you develop floaters as well. At least I do know some people with T and most of them have floaters. One guy has had T since his childhood and he does even have visual hallucinations... also Trobalt seemed to work for quite a few people and what were some of the side effects? Floaters.. could be coincidence, but I really feel like there is a link.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      home theatre system + high pressure washer
      Yes... they both become more apparent when you’re anxious about them.

14. Anthonyr
      Wtf

Anthonyr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, I think It's like 80% of people with Visual snow also have tinnitus. Seeing as one of the main symptoms of Visual snow is floaters. I would definitely say there is a connection there.

15. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've had visual snow my entire life. The only thing that made me aware of the fact that it 'isn't normal' is because I developed T and started doing research as to its many causes. Only when it is mentioned to me will I pay attention to it and even then it isn't really disconcerting. I do have some floaters as well, but they also have always been present (I remember trying to follow them with my eyes as a kid and turning circles because they would always shift away with eye movement :rolleyes:). I just hope that this T can someday be something that is just as unobtrusive as these things are to me.

16. Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      I dont know but I have had floaters since I was 16 years old. They're big and brown and kind of blur my vision from time to time. They've been probably the toughest thing I ever had to deal with apart from tinnitus. I remember feeling very suicidal over them and thinking how I could ever live with such a condition thats just in my vision all the time, but somehow I managed. It took me a good 3 years probably to get used to them, but somehow i did. A day doesn't go by where I dont see them and they annoy me, but at least Ive gotten used to them.

Sometimes I wonder why I have to deal with all of these things and it has occurred to me that it might be related to artificial sweeteners. I always consumed way too much of it through diet cokes, and putting way too many sweeteners in my coffee. I started using sucralose not too long ago in my yoghurt, and it increased my floaters quite a bit, and caused me to have a fungal infection on my tongue and then shortly after this my current tinnitus. I still think it might somehow be related, even though my tinnitus seems to be a neck issue.

I do have trouble deciding what is worse sometimes my pretty bad floaters (probably a 7 in severity) or my really mild tinnitus (probably a 2/3 in severity). My floaters are not that bothersome to me in dark rooms and in the evening they give me relief, whereas tinnitus gives me a break during the day when there's noise and then strikes back in the quiet evenings

17. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      • Helpful Helpful x 1