Is There Anything to Protect from New Noise Trauma?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jer, Mar 17, 2018.

1. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I have to do a dentist treatment soon and I would like to know if there is anything I can take/do to try and prevent new noise trauma from happening? I was going to do a course of prednisone, but this is kind of a heavy treatment that I would like to not have to revert to too often.

Does anyone have any other idea’s. And please don’t come with clever retorts like to not go to the dentist, or something similar. Please some real advice.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @jer,
      Try not to worry and If you have to have your mouth open for a long time maybe have a minute or so break just to take the pressure away off your jaw joint .
      If you have to have your teeth cleaned then may be tell him you prefer use dental floss or brushes as you have tinnitus.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You could get prednisone, so that you could take it at a first sign of a spike.

You could also take NAC for several days before and after your procedure.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I tried to take NAC before and it gave me a huge spike. So I don’t think that’s a good idea. Is there different types of NAC? Maybe I took the wrong one.

5. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Antioxidants have been shown to provide some degree of protection. Vitamins A, C, E, CoQ10, Ginkgo, etc. The amino acid Acetyl-l-carnitine has also been protective in some studies.

6. gadsie
      Angelic

gadsie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Normal volume headphones/clubbing with earplugs
      Bumping this thread.
      I have to get my wisdom tooth out next week. I got the other one out 2 weeks ago, it was VERY loud but luckily very short and no spike. I want to be prepared for next time. What about magnesium and niacinamide? I heard about those

7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The less you worry about your next dental procedure the better you are likely to feel. Try to direct your thoughts and attention to other things other than tinnitus spiking. This will lower stress and anxiety since they are linked to tinnitus. Stress increases tinnitus and tinnitus increases stress.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I had had a tooth extracted once (before I got T). I remember the dentist using pliers to pull it out. It wasn't noisy. What caused the noise associated with your procedure?
      You could take those two and NAC.

9. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      def NAC and melatonin at night. Low stress. protecting when you think you might be around a loud noise.

10. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      also- my husband doesnt worry about his ear issues sooo nothing really bothers him, except a ruptured eardrum that he got this winter. he forgets about it and it goes away. and he had a BOMB go off right next to him TWICE!

• Like Like x 1
    11. gadsie
      Angelic

gadsie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Normal volume headphones/clubbing with earplugs
      Mine are positioned horribly. Completely horizontal and mostly under the bone. A small piece of the jaw bone had to be cut away. The other one is exactly the same. Thank you for the tip

• Informative Informative x 1