Is There Hope?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Marc, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Marc

Marc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 25
      Hi all. First I'd like to say hello to you all. It's a great relief to find I site like this.
      I've just started to get t symtoms. I've just got back of a holiday sept 2015. Since I got back I've got a very high pitch tone in my head. And some times it's like morse code. I can't ignore it. What ever I try. I'm getting really down with it. Really.. Down! I've no ideas of how it started. One incident in the swimming pool where I dove under and had to come straight up again with great pain in my sinus for about 10sec. And also the flight home not long after that maybe?.... I've been to my gp and he looked in my ears and nose. Then gave me a nasal spray called AVAMYS. also he has refured me to a ent.. I'm waiting for my appointment. The noise is so annoying. It's like when a car brakes and it sqeekes kind of noise. Also it seems to get agrivated my high pitch noises like the radio or the tv. And even when I hear a car brake also. I drive a cab. So I'm sat in my car all day trying to ignore it. And stay positive. But I'm struggling. I keep thinking stupid thoughts and feeling sorry for myself... I no there are people worse off than me. But I'm really finding this a struggle.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc

Marc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 25
      Any comments would be massively appreciated.

3. joseph Ghass
      Angelic

joseph Ghass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      Don't worry Marc.

Make sure to:
      0- do necessary examinations to check potential causes of T
      1- Mask the sounds to reduce anxiety
      2- change your diet to low carbs one
      3- get supplementation for magnesium, omega, probiotics, multivitamin
      4- exercise
      5- move forward with ur life

Do this and T will fade in time, guaranteed.

Never quit Marc, you will get stronger from this.

Let me know if u need anything Marc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc

Marc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 25
      Thankyou for your comment mate. I'm just feeling really frustrated. Witch I no is making it more noticeable.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc

Marc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 25
      I'm taking seven seas cod liver oil tablets. Also tried some called ginkgo biloba , that I read can help. I came of them after a couple of days though as I felt it was getting worse, although I believe it's prob my anciyaty that's doing that. It's on my mind 24/7. You say magnesium.. Is there a supplement you recomend. I drive a cab. And my diet is not the best. Some days I can go without eating all day. Stupid I no.

6. DavidSupertramp
      Cheerful

DavidSupertramp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma and TMJD
      Hi marc , im sorry to hear that you are having troubles dealing with T .. The good news is that if noise-induced hasn't triggered your T then there is a good chance it fades away ! The almost bad news is that you have to give it some " time " and be patient , and hopefully it goes away
      As Joseph stated above do the necessary examinations so you are aware of what has caused your T and probably treating the problem will cure the T .
      Now you really have to focus and work on your emotional reaction to T cuz anxiety always makes things worse, get busy and dont think too much about it .. i know its easy to say but believe me , once you start doing that , T will be much easier to manage until it hopefully goes away . Also don't read too much of these scary stories on the internet ! I almost forgot , hmm If you cant fall asleep and need to mask your T , there is a good android app named " White Noise " I find it really helpful since it covers my T with nature , fire , waterfall sounds etc ..
      I hope things get better for you , let us know .
      -While there is life, there is hope .

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc

Marc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 25
      Thankyou. I can't think of any noise incedent that may of caused it. I do go out. But not really into clubbing any more etc... It just seemed to start from nowhere. I thought the plane I've not long been on May of caused it. I'm really trying to keep calm. But I'm feeling so ancious.... My wife works nights. So I lay in bed alone thinking about it. Woe me! I no I'm feeling sorry for self. Sorry. I do hope it can be sorted. Or fades. Just talking to you guys is lifting my spirit. Thankyou for that.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. DavidSupertramp
      Cheerful

DavidSupertramp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma and TMJD
      We are always here to help and also i just edited my post above suggesting you to get the White Noise app on android or ios .. Its free and helps you to mask your T with natural sounds and will probably help you sleeping better !
      Stay in touch , Cheers .

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc

Marc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 25
      I got an app. And I'm giving it a good try. Massive thanx for these replys.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      @Marc --there is more than hope! There is living. Don't let the thoughts you say you are thinking take over. As hard as it may seem, try to stay positive and keep getting on with your life. If you need to go to work or school--then go. Keep as busy as you can and try not to focus on the noise.

I see you have an app for white noise. You might try this

White Noise : 9 Hour Long Tinnitus Masking

and this

Sweeping Pink Noise - Ten Hours - Ambient Sound

they both helped me. Also, I listened to audiobooks to fall asleep. Hang in there...it will be okay--it will fade or you will get used to it. It may be a while but time is on your side. This is what I was told when I came here, and it is true. I still have moderate T but I'm okay.

(((hugs)))

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc

Marc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 25
      Thankyou kathi. Really appreciate your kind words. And thankyou for the links.

12. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc

Marc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 25
      Massive thanx mate. My t seems so high pitched. It's hard for any other sound to mask it. I no it's prob because I'm concentrating on it to much. But I just can't seem to take my mind off it. I'm listening to this piano while I'm typing this. But I can still hear my t in the background. I feel like it's haunting me. I'm sorry for my negative attitude. But I really can't imagine dealing with this for a long period. I no I have to be positive.... But I feel it's getting worse and harder as each day.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      Hi Marc,
      Sinusitis can cause tinnitus, and sinus pain is suggestive this may be the cause. Any recent URTI/'cold' etc? Have you got 'post-nasal drip'....gunk that goes down the back of your throat from sinuses?
      Presumably your dive into the swimming pool wasn't from a great height or to a great depth which may have caused barotrauma?
      As DavidSupertramp says, you currently have 'acute tinnitus' and it may well fade away with time.
      For now TRY to stay cool and calm, use other noises to distract your mind from tinnitus, avoid silent rooms (or fill it with some kind of sound at relatively low volume) and keep optimistic.

Fungus.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc

Marc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 25
      Hi mate. I was in the pool. And I did a kind of forward roll under the water. And when I came back up I had a massive shooting pain to noise and eyes area for about 20 seconds. Strange thing is I never noticed any tinnitus for the rest of the holiday. It seemed to come on about a week after I retuned. I don't seem to have any fluid in the ear or throat. My hearing seems fine although my ears keep feeling blocked sometimes. When I'm out in my car. I don't hear it as much. Although I'm constantly thinking about it. The nights are the hardest. I'm trying lots of apps and sounds white noise pink noise etc. But my t is so high pitched ,it's hard to focus on anything other than the t when I'm in bed.... Prob not the answer but if I have a glass of wine or something before bed. That can sometimes help me to relax. I'm waiting an appointment with an ENT and I'm hopeing they can help me. I feel like I'm being soft. I no there are people worse off than me. But I can't help how I'm feeling. I have no one to really talk to about it. My wife is great. But I no it's upsetting her to. This site is a big help. It's reassureing to no there are nice people out there that are feeling the same way. And take time to talk.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc

Marc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 25
      I've just been to the health shop and got some magAsorb magnesium 150mg
      I also was advised to try PHARMEPA .. 90% epa. They said they would be better balanced than the seven seas cod liver oil.
      I've also started to take the ginkgo tablets I've got.
      I just feel I need to be trying something while I'm waiting for the ent appointment. Hope they help.

17. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Your T is very new. So don't freak out too much with it. It may fade or disappear. Fear, stress and anxiety are all toxic to T. We know at the start with the sensation is so new and alien to the body, we panic and suffer quite a bit. My ultra high pitch dog whistle T plus severe hyperacusis just turned me into a mess physically and mentally at the first few months. This initial period is pure hell for a lot of people, even for those who had written their success stories. So it is quite common for new T sufferers. Over time we get more used to or hardened to the T sensation and the brain learns to cope with this T ringing much better. I got better too and wrote my success story like other members. I mention many points helpful to my turning around. If you have the time, read this and a few notable ones:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

The most read success story ‘Back to Silence’ with a simple effective strategy:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

Jade’s success story with super loud T:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/6-months-tinnitus-still-going-strong-but-so-am-i.3226/

Dr. Hubbard’s success story:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/how-cbt-helped-me-live-again-dr-hubbards-story.4608/

18. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Marc,

All of us here who have tinnitus have been through the initial period that you're going through right now. I remember when mine first started my ear ached (I only have tinnitus in one ear), my tinnitus was roaring, and I had that awful feeling of fullness in my ear. I could not sleep at all at night, and I would go days and days with virtually no sleep at all. I had to take a leave of absence from work, etc. I would cry every day, and I thought my life was basically over.

Today, however, all that has changed. I still have tinnitus, but I'm back at work, enjoying life again, the feeling of fullness is long gone, and I can sleep at night. How does this happen? Well, it's a gradual process. Right at first, it seems inconceivable that you will ever be able to function normally again. But the best thing you can do is to not panic, try to live your life as normally as possible, and try taking a supplement or whatever is needed for a good night's sleep. In time, you'll find that your body and brain are beginning to adjust to the sound, and you'll be able to live your life again.

So, the best thing you can do is stay busy, and distract your mind as best you can from the tinnitus. Also, you can try taking supplements, such as magnesium, NAC, and perhaps melatonin for sleep.

Things will begin to improve soon. It may take several months, and it's still possible that your tinnitus could dissipate, since you don't really know the cause.

I wish you well, and hope you'll stay in touch with us. We're here to help!!

Hugs,
      Karen

• Agree Agree x 4
    19. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      This is what is helping me..

. Lots of rem zzz

. Notched white noise 1 hr/day

. L acetyl carnitine 1g/day

. Most of all: monitoring my reactions only not the actual sound. Ie avoiding comments like *the noise is screaming....* i now say * i feel irritated with t...or i feel calm eventhough i hear u...* ive been doing thisfor 2 weeks and already im experiencing far less negative responses...have a look at back to silence threads..

Im nearing my 2 year anniversary with t and h. I can honestly say life is mostly back to normal. I do all the things i loved pre t aside from exposing my ears to loud sound. ☺

• Like Like x 2
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc

Marc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 25
      Thankyou for your comments. Second night in a row now I've woke up after around 4hours sleep. And can't get back to sleep. My body seems to be trembling as I'm righting this as I sit on the couch. Cold or adrenalin? I don't no. Think I'm going to need to get some kind of sleeping tablet. The white noise app I'm using isn't helping.... I went out for a meal last night. And all I did was spend all night looking at other people wondering if they suffer with this. Or I look at other blokes thinking he is better than me. Because I'm a mess. Silly I no. I feel like I'm loosing the plot. I'm so tired.

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      Marc, we're not all brave/better/have a different sort of tinnitus etc., it's just that we've largely habituated as we've had it longer.
      My tinnitus is fire hydrant/jet engine type and is here 24/7.Like quite a few others have said, the initial period was a living nightmare.....hardly sleeping,eating functioning. the whole day spent listening to the racket and mood rock bottom/tearful/frightened.
      A sudden noise...gunshot, brakes screeching,explosion usually means trouble to us, and we respond by fear, output of adrenaline and noradrenaline (epinephrine and norepinephrine in a lot of countries) which causes panic feelings, alertness, racing pulse, dry mouth etc (feeling awful and sensations of imminent doom,too). As our brains learn that tinnitus isn't a threat,won't harm us, isn't even based on only external stimulus any longer, then it eventually will be ignored. Unfortunately it takes time. My ENT doc. was very good and said he had yet to see anyone who hadn't gone back to leading a normal life....but added "I know you can't believe that right now". So, now I do. You will, too.
      Remember, there's still plenty of time for your tinnitus to disappear, but, if it doesn't, you will arrive back in a quite happy place eventually.
      Try deep breathing exercises. Sit quietly and concentrate on breathing from you abdomen/diaphragm and controlling your breathing. On breathing out repeat some word...whatever word you choose, but don't think of the meaning of that word. Do this for about 5 minutes. If you find yourself in a blind panic, go through all the senses...What can I smell? What can I taste? What can I see? What can I smell? What can I hear? Though they may sound a bit stupid, they will enable your brain to focus away from tinnitus and help to restore calm.
      What ever....don't let it beat you. 1 in 10 is said to have tinnitus right now....so that successful rock star, oil magnate, shop assistant, bank teller, farmer etc may well have tinnitus....but they have their lives back You will,too.

Hang on in,

Fungus.

• Like Like x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc

Marc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 25
      Again. Massive thankyou for taking time to talk to me. You have no idea, well you prob do. But you have no idea how much it means to read your comments. Also thanx for that app razah. I will try it out.

24. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Try this if it's high pitched-

Night time Forest Sounds 11 Hours - Forest at...

• Like Like x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc

Marc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 25
      Thanx Danny

• Hug Hug x 1
    26. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      For masking sources you may want to download a free copy of 'aire freshener' (google its download site) which has many sounds to choose from. You can also consider TT's audio player as in here:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

I used to need masking all day, bed time with a sound machine or CD player (some people use sound pillow ordered online), on-the-go with an ipod download with many nature sounds, and at work or at home using PC playing 'aire freshener'. Now you can also add TT's audio player on it. If you have smart phone, it can have more choices of APPs for sound generation.

27. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      For more masking ideas, you can consider these options. For PC, download a free copy of 'aire freshener' or using TT's audio player. For bed time, use a sound machine or sound pillow or even just CD player. If you don't want to spend on those, you can play aire freshener or TT masking sounds on computer speakers using laptop or PC. For on-the-go masking, I used to use an ipod nano download with nature sounds. If you have a smart phone, there should be APPs for sound generation. Here is link to TT's audio player:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

28. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Marc,

For that feeling of trembling, you might consider trying magnesium. I take two magnesium chloride tablets each night before bedtime, and it relaxes me so I can get to sleep. The magnesium also has a calming effect on the nerves and muscles, so it's worth a try. When my tinnitus was new, (I have both tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus), it felt as if my pulse was vibrating throughout my body. The magnesium really helped me, and I no longer have that trembling any more.

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc

Marc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 25
      Thanx Karen. I've just had the worst night sleep ever. It's like I just can't drop of to sleep. I hate the t sound. And also I find it hard getting used to background sounds. Like the apps I've got. My body keeps. Shaking. Even now as I'm typing this. I thought the magnesiam may acc of caused it rather than help it.

I feel I'm taking loads of pills.

I have omezaprol for a hyitas hernia I have.
      Magnesiam
      Ginkgo
      And fish oil tablets.
      Also the nasal spray my doc gave me.

Can't help wondering if I'm trying to much. I've also had a few drinks the last couple of nights. I'm not a big drinker. Glass of red wine and a pint I'd say.

I don't get as stressed in the day. But the nights are now hell for me. I can feell my wife getting frustrated with me. I'm so frustrated right now.

30. JesusIsStronger

JesusIsStronger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/08/2014
      Marc , I am praying for you. This is the first time I have been on a site like this and have had t for a bit now. Your sysmptoms seem almost identical to mine in the beginning. I'm the first few weeks I wound up being extremely anxious and not being able to sleep. My body would jump every time I started to fade off. I didn't see how I would ever be able to work and be normal again. I was out on steriods, sleeping pills, and an anti-depressant (I never took any medication hardly before.) I went to about 3-4 different doctors while waiting for ENT appointment. Finally when I thought I might be close to going crazy, I went to my almost retired family doc. He took me off of everything, tapering me off steroids. He gave me 20 Zanex pills and asked me to take 1 before bed each night for 10 days and then to break in half and then fourths until I didn't need them anymore. That seemed to calm my nerves down to the point that I could fall asleep fairly easily again and stay asleep. I am now only mildly bothered by the t and never lose sleep over it. I do try to keep busy, pray, read Gods word, spend time with people, keep noise going wherever I am (fans, soft music). I am thankful God has brought me out of the dark place I was in. He will bring you to a good place too.