Is Tinnitus an Auditory Hallucination?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dana, May 20, 2018.

?

Were you ever told by a doctor, about your tinnitus, that you have auditory hallucinations?

1. Yes (in this case please give, if you want, details)

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      A psychiatrist told me that the fact that I have tinnitus means that I have auditory hallucinations, and I may have in the future visual hallucinations. I contradicted her, and she ordered for me to be locked up in a room. For about two weeks I did not see the daylight, or the sky.

Were you ever treated for having tinnitus as a dangerous, mentally ill person?

If you were told that tinnitus is an auditory hallucination, do you agree? Please explain why.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      The strict definition of auditory hallucination is "A paracusia, or auditory hallucination,[1] is a form of hallucination that involves perceiving sounds without auditory stimulus."

By that definition, Tinnitus is indeed an auditory hallucination. However, I think the term is generally reserved for another type of hallucination that involves coherent sounding perception, for example voices or music, not just a raw tone or some broadband noises that don't mean anything (even though Schumann heard an A5 note - it's not clear whether he just heard a tone or an instrument, which is obviously a much more sophisticated sound with harmonics, etc).

I suffer from T, and while it may sensu stricto be qualified as a hallucination, I don't think I am mentally ill (in the sense that most doctors would interpret it). Something is broken in my brain, yes, but that isn't enough - in my opinion - to be called "mentally ill" (and be locked in!).

• Like Like x 1
    3. Rafahyperacusis

Rafahyperacusis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      Hello @Dana , I've been reading some of your threads.
      I need help, I'm in Hell for about 3 weeks and dunno what to do anymore..
      It's a bit long to post here, I just have 2 threads on my Profile, iscabiut the one that I name *mushrooms*
      Any advice I'd be very helpful.
      I've tried Rivotril for a couple of days and It worked nice but I've stopped as I've read It can worsen the symptoms..
      If you can read my post and give me advice It'd be very grateful.
      Thanks a lot in advance.
      People on this forum are very nice!

4. Audiophile_bg
      Furious

Audiophile_bg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Olanzapine/MRI
      I was also accused of having hallucinations because I have tinnitus.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      She actually had you committed?

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      No it's not a typical hallucination. I guess you could sorta classify it under that definition. Your doctor is a top notch bitch.

It's more of a phantom auditory perception moreso than a hallucination. You're not hearing voices, just a tone. Did I mention your doctor is a top notch bitch? Sorry you had to go through that.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      After a recent worsening, I’m gettjng full blown audio hallucinations in the shower. This was a place that I would go to relax in the past, but now my head has been taken over with flutes, ice cream truck, other times a opera singer hitting a certain note and holding. Why in the f::k would this be happening ?

I have severe hearing loss in upper frequencies, like pretty much dead above 8khz, hearing loss starts lower, but by the time I get above 8khz there is nothing left. This is causing this blank, plugged up feeling in my brain that is filled with a bunch of hell, now including these other very strange sounds.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      This is one bad trip then