Is Tinnitus in the Genes?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sgguy46, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      After i had T, i discovered that three other close relatives have mild Tinnitus. Anyone else have relatives with T?

2. ItalianMan
      Fine

ItalianMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Yes, my mother

3. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      Yes I believe it is . Our genes DNA what ever. Has a lot to do with our outcome on our health . And I believe tinnitus is no exception.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      My mother has it. Not so bad as me, but then she never went to any Motorhead gigs when she was younger. ;)

5. emmy2405
      Snaphappy

emmy2405 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetic/Audio Damage
      My mother has it. She got it when she was 25. I got it the same age... coincidence? perhaps. But I believe that it is genetically passed on.

6. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I dont think so . Millions of people have T so its kind of probable that someone in your family will also.
      Us pattern seeking T people.... :)

7. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      My Mom, Brother, Sister have T and possibly my Dad had it? He died young, so can't verify. I know he was pretty much deaf in his right ear, same ear as me. Gotta be a connection in our genetics.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      Yes it is.

My brother and my auntie have tinnitus, everyone in my family(father's side) also has thyroid dysfunction...

i always say to people around me that we are the expression of our genes and we can't escape that for the moment.

9. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      My grandfather have it in the right ear. I have it in the right ear too. Could be random, I don't know.

10. vasil

vasil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2014
      My two grandpas have it, my father have it and i have it. I guess its not the T, but the higher chance of getting one. One of the otoneurologist i visited, told me that genetics play a big role.

11. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I think that it's possible that some of us are genetically more likely to get tinnitus, plus part of our upbringing may also influence it - the psychological predisposition to notice it or focus on it more than others. I don't know anyone else in the immediate family that has it though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My grandpa, who used to work in the engine rooms of cargo ships, had it.
      My father, who never uses earplugs while attending concerts, playing music or while driving a motorcycle, has it.
      And I have it and acquired it at a much lower age, even though I've always reached for my earplugs way sooner than anyone else I know...

So yes, some relatives of mine have it too, but you can't really conclude that there are genetics at play in my case.

13. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
    14. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      My Dad has it

15. Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      I hope not... I don't want my kids to go through this at all!!!! Praying they wont!

16. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm sure they won't! You can educate them thankfully. I mean, I wasn't even aware of tinnitus until I got it. I knew about cancer and aids though.

17. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

No one in my entire family has T or had t (very large family)..Lots of hearing loss though-go figure.

18. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hearing loss yes but I don't think they have tinnitus

19. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Is tinnitus in the genes?

I don't know, but it's sure in my ears.
      Seriously, though, my Mum has it. Most conditions have a genetic influence.

20. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      My dad has it, but he has age related hearing loss. He does not care about his either, not like I. I don't think it's genetic in our case

21. Pumpkin
      Batty

Pumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      I know my Dad had it but he never really spoke about it. Didn't seem to bother him at all....I only recall having one conversation about it and even that was short and sweet. I think he got it from hearing loss. He was given a hearing aid but he never used the thing....he said he could hear people chatting on the back of the bus and he didn't want to know all about their private lives!!

22. suera

suera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2010
      Nope.

23. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      I think there must be some code in our genetic makeup that makes our ears/brains more susceptible to damage and tinnitus. There are people in my family that have it and people in my family that have bad hearing loss. Meanwhile I know a whole group of people that can party on and listen to loud music and go places and not get tinnitus (temporary or not) at all...

24. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      As of right now, there is no way it's because of our Genes. Noise is the number one reason for most cases of Tinnitus. Sounds are EVERYWHERE in life. Our auditory system is extremely fragile and was not made to take the beating that it does everyday whether it be from loud traffic to cabinet doors slamming to dishes clinking and clanking. Sound waves can cause hidden damage to our hearing system. We as humans were meant to live in a fight or flight scenario where we would hunt for food or have to protect ourselves from danger throughout the night. We needed a healthy hearing system that allowed us to hear the faintest of sounds and from far distances to be prepared for action. Any who..........Tinnitus is the problem to an underlying cause that MOST researchers have yet to even come across. There are only are few studies out there explaining the reason we get tinnitus. Tinnitus is only diagnosed if we hear a ringing in our brain. The same factors that apply to tinnitus apply to age-related hearing loss. We are missing the big picture and what these things can do over time. Maybe it'll be proved that Genes cause a faulty working in our hearing system but that's very far-fetched.

25. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      There is definitely evidence that genes play a role in hearing loss. I believe there are upwards of 100 genes that have been implicated in some type of hearing loss. (Here's a hearing loss specific genetic test for 87 different genes http://personalizedmedicine.partner...ar-Medicine/Tests/Hearing-Loss/OtoGenome.aspx) The most obvious example where genetics plays a causal role is when babies are born with a significant hearing impairment, and most of the links that come up when searching for genetics and hearing loss focus on that though there is some information relevant to adults.

There is general information on genetics and hearing loss/deafness at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1434/ among other places. See also http://hereditaryhearingloss.org/main.aspx?c=.HHH&n=86162 for more data.

As the authors of the paper in the nih link note, most acquired hearing loss is age or noise related though they provide citations to two studies linking specific genes to age and noise related hearing loss. They also posit there is likely a relationship between genetics and age/noise related hearing loss. After all, many people here self-identify as having "sensitive ears". Assuming they are correct, it seems likely that genetics play a role. (What's the saying, "genetics loads the gun and environment pulls the trigger".)

Finally, if you look at Table 3 in the paper I linked (nih website), even though most of these conditions are prelingual, some genes are associated with hearing loss in the second through sixth decade of life. Interestingly a couple of these take the pattern of high frequency progressive hearing loss.

• Informative Informative x 1
    26. Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      My parents have it, but for reasons unrelated to how I got mine. Also, they were old when they got theirs.

27. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      Thanks for sending this Aaron. I'll read into the links you posted. The issue I was referring to is Tinnitus and how people don't always connect hearing with the symptom. Do you agree that Tinnitus is in association with hidden hearing loss?

28. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      My dad has tinnitus although I never knew that before I developed T. My cousin on my dads side also has it and my aunt (dad's sister) had it when she was younger but it went away. My grandma on my moms side also suffers with it.

29. baz 22
      Alone

baz 22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      My uncle has it and possibly other relatives

30. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      My mom has it. And it seems to be quite severe like me but she's never complaining about it.

Also she got it in same age and also without any specific reason.

What are the odds for severe tinnitus like this. I guess 1 to 10000. To develop it by random by the two of us is highly unlikely.

So I think it's in the genes.

My problem is now: Shall I have kids with this thinking?
      If they get T as well like this...I would hate myself, feeling responsible for their suffering.
      If they don't...I would live at least in fear.

Anyone with the same thoughts?