Is TRT (Tinnitus Retraining Therapy) Useful for Desensitizing Reactive Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by G61, May 10, 2017.

1. G61

G61 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head and neck trauma
      I have the reactive tinnitus and hyperacusis. My tinnitus has started due to the head and neck trauma. It's so reactive to the point that even the softest pink noise spikes my tinnitus. I have tried to listen to the pink noise for my hyperacusis. But after 30 minutes of pink noise, I feel tired or over-stimulated.

If that's a case, how can I go through the TRT?

I'm going to meet an audiologist next week. Any advice?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @G61

TRT can help lower your perception of the tinnitus and desensitize your sensitivity to sound. Trying to do this yourself isn't possible and therefore, you need the help of a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist trained in TRT and the management of tinnitus. This requires counselling (talk therapy) and wearing 2 white noise generators. Treatment can take up to two years. I suggest you do some research and find someone reputable. I first advise that tests are carried out on your auditory system by ENT then later referral to Hearing Therapist or Audiologist.

Click on my Avatar and choose "started threads" there are many posts that I have written on TRT that you might find helpful. Read my two articles that are also in the list: Tinnitus, A Personal View, and Hyperacusis, As I see it.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

Reactive tinnitus is actually: Hyperacusis. There are different intensity levels and pain is not always felt. The term "Reactive Tinnitus" is made up and used a lot in tinnitus forums.

Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      G61

G61 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head and neck trauma
      Michael, when you had H, did you T react to the sound?

4. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Will get better with time, in the beginning even a voice spiked my T, now I can endure quite some noise before spiking

5. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      Does your react like instantly? Does it like "whistle" along to the sound?

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes it did, as I was suffering from very severe noise trauma. My sensitivity was so severe, at times I had to ask people to lower their voice as my ears hurt. However, two years wearing white noise generators and using sound therapy at night completely cured my sensitivity/hyperacusis till this day and that was 20 years ago.

Tinnitus and hyperacusis can improve on their own with time. If the hypercausis is severe then it might need treatment and the most effective is using white noise generators as part of TRT

Michael

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      G61

G61 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head and neck trauma
      Yes, it reacts to it instantly but it does not whistle but it sounds like electricity sound in a high frequency.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      TRT doesn't help with jack. It's no better than the "ring begone" scams you find on the internet, except much more expensive.

9. Redhen
      No Mood

Redhen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Hello @G61 - I've had tinnitus for nearly 5 years and H for almost 2 years. My H was the kind that whistled and whined along to many sounds.

I have worn NHS UK pink noise generators for a year and the H has mostly gone. I received a very basic form of TRT from my hearing therapist, with virtually no counselling. My hearing is not the same in each ear and so it took a while to get the pink noise sound balance right. You worry that you may not be able to tolerate the pink noise sound, but it is very low - quieter than the tinnitus. My H took quite a while to lessen.

After a few months I would get the odd day, and then a week, and currently 4 weeks H-free. It is a huge relief and I feel much better. The T is still there but I have mostly habituated to that. I cannot be sure that the maskers have helped my recovery but I still wear them most of the time. I run a small fan, which has a similar sound at night time for a while before I fall asleep. I was very lucky because my TRT was free of charge.

The pink noise is delivered by Siemens hearing aids with the hearing aid function disabled. It may be possible to get a free trial period of hearing aids with noise generators so that you can get a sense of what they will feel like.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Salih

Salih Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      So to sum it up, the general consensus around here is pretty much that reactive T that reacts to external sounds instantly and stops reacting instantly when the external sound is over is connected to H and therefore should improve/fade when H improves/fades?

11. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There is no general consensus. It's all just conjecture with little evidence supporting one opinion or the other.

• Winner Winner x 1
    12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Reactive tinnitus is Hyperacusis.
      Reactive tinnitus was a thought up in tinnitus forums and is now used by some in the medical field to give the belief it's a seperate condition from Hyperacusis and is treatable. More expense. Please don't believe it.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    13. Onsdag

Onsdag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress
      No it's not!

14. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes it is!
      You have had tinnitus for 5 mins I've had it considerably longer.

15. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      More expense? I was unaware of this expensive new treatment, can you elaborate? Just curious what it is, and what it claims to do.

16. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am using a small tablet Telis and not my regular PC so I apologise for any typos. A while back someone posted a link in the forum to a website where so called ENT professionals have written up a document to describe "Reactive tinnitus" and the treatment for it. It consists of using sound therapy to treat it and goes into a long explination that this needs to be treated first, and then the Hyperacusis. Total rubbish as far as I'm concerned.

Reactive tinnitus was a term made up in tinntius forums and some people in the medical field have had a brain wave. What a good idea to extract more money from people in misery with tinnitus and hyperacusis. I have said many times in this forum: ENT doctors know about the anatomy of the ear. They can treat it medically or surgically but most of them know very little about tinnitus because they've never experienced it. It is the Hearing Therapists and Audiologists, that work with tinnitus patients that often know a lot more. The reason being many of them were either born with tinnitus or acquired it at some time in their life.

I have had tinnitus for 21 years and read many books over the years about tinnitus and hyperacusis. Not once was the term "Reactive tinnitus mentioned"

Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    17. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      @Michael Leigh

>what a good idea to extract more money from people in misery with tinnitus and hyperacusis.

You're talking about TRT right? That's exactly what they do :^)

• Like Like x 1
    18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      We have already been there and not going there again.....:)

19. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Well then please stop recommending it for future reference.

20. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you for your polite request. However, I have had TRT twice in the 21 years that I've had tinnitus and found it very helpful. Therefore, I will continue to recommend it to people whenever I think it necessary. I am here to help and advise people in the best way that I can.

Michael

• Like Like x 5
      • Hug Hug x 1
    21. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      Are two kinds of reactive tinnituszez though? One that means tinnitus that reacts to sounds instantly.. so it sounds like someone whistling along the sounds you hear... And another reactive tinnitus that is regular tinnitus that spikes for hours or something after you've been in loud environmentz?

22. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Whatever you want to call it. I believe both conditions are treatable and curable with sound therapy. Namely using white noise generators in severe cases as part of TRT. I once had very severe hyperacusis. So bad, when in conversation with someone I had to ask them to lower their voice as my ears hurt so much. White noise generators desensitised my auditory system in 2 years and I've been cured for 18 years.

Michael

23. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @threefirefour
      @Michael Leigh

It's Saturday night in the Uk, and Michael is endorsing trt for treatment of tinnitus which I can't help but wonder is Michael really 'habituated' or 'cured' because why else is he spending Saturday mid night on a tinnitus forum?

Tagged our California friend due to our shared view of trt.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Onsdag

Onsdag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress
      He probably has not much to do besides talking about tinnitus. No kids, no wife, no job, no hobbies, no friends. He's on permanent disability because of tinnitus

• Like Like x 1
    25. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      That makes me sad, because I believe Michael is a nice man. If anybody deserves a cure, it's him.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Wouldn't you like to know @Paulmanlike How are you so sure that I'm in the UK hmmm?

• Funny Funny x 1
    27. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Ahh..That's very kind of you...Always knew you had a heart :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. Onsdag

Onsdag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress
      Yes he is nice I hope he gets cured

29. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Wouldn't you like know @Onsdag My real name isn't even Michael Leigh so don't bother looking on facebook :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    30. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Ok I'll tell you two truths @Onsdag I drive a new Lexus GS300H disability didn't pay for that. I'm not bragging just letting you know a few facts. And I have my own house bought and fully paid for :)

Oh, and I have an expensive Audio system in a dedicated acoustically treated listening room.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1