It's All About the Breath

Discussion in 'Support' started by Robert44, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      Hi, Something that has been helping me lately is concentrating on my breath as much as possible. Inhale.... Exhale...... Do it at work, driving , walking , whenever you remember.....This helps us to stay relaxed. When I concentrate on my breath I could hardly hear my T. Some of you may have seen those videos of Tibetan Monks who are able to sit perfectly still while they are engulfed in flames... Think about that... You know what it feels like when you touch something hot ... how fast you remove your hand. They are able to do this because they are able to completely concentrate on their breath.. Just thought I would post this if it helps someone a little. Have a good one... Robert

• Like Like x 2
    2. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      This is interesting you talked about breathing. This morning when I was trying to wake myself up I was having my usual(usual since the onset if my tinnitus) anxiety attack and I tried to focus on my breathing instead of my T. Unfortunately, even I tried to make it happen for minutes and minutes my tinnitus which is in my head and both ears drown it down.. It was horrible! I thought I was about to having panic attack. It may work for the ones who have tonal T but for me it was impossible with hissing, sizzling, sirens and electrical T to do it.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      @Beste Hi, When I first got T over a year ago I tried meditating and I also found it very difficult. The breathing should calm you down. I would say to keep trying. Best

4. HomeSpun
      Psychedelic

HomeSpun Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Hey Robert!

I have had a similar experience regarding meditation. Since I incurred a head injury last winter, I have found myself struggling with/unable to relax, focus, meditate, and do yoga. I have been doing readings about mindfulness and meditation, which is helping me. I have also incorporated aromatherapy into my daily life and daily practice. Using essential oils remind more frequently to breathe...and breathe more deeply. I agree that it's all about the breathe! The more I read and the more I experience stressful (or every day) life situations the breathe becomes more and more important. I keep a little container of a smell that I like in my purse and on my night stand. I have found this very useful!!!

@Beste , have you tried incorporating mindfulness activities throughout your day? Do you have a morning ritual that can help you snap out of it or calm you down that way you don't have to wake up already stressin'...If you do wake up stressing out maybe having a visual/tacticle/audible reminder can help you remember to breathe, and not go to that mental space of OMG.

OMG was how I was waking up for 5 months...but having a morning ritual that helps me stay chilled out has helped me to feel more hopeful and less freaked out. My morning rituals that I look forward to are:
      1) making a cup of coffee (cuz I want and love it!)
      2) light stretching (which encourages the breathe)
      3) Stepping outside to see what the weather is like...I take a few deep breathes when I do that

Thank you for the beautiful thought, Robert!

• Like Like x 1