It's Getting Worse and I'm Losing My Mind

Discussion in 'Support' started by CapedCrusader2, Jan 2, 2016.

1. CapedCrusader2
      Inspired

CapedCrusader2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/Anxiety
      My T started 2 weeks ago with no obvious cause. I was in a major phase of anxiety as outlined in a previous post, but the ringing started spontaneously. I have a history of loud music from playing in a band but I hadn't exposed myself to anything too loud in over a month before the onset. In these 2 weeks the T has gotten louder. It was originally only noticeable when going to sleep but now it is starting in my right ear (it was originally just my left) and it "reacting" to sounds such as the hum of an old TV or running water. I'm now severely depressed and I don't know what to do. I want to go out and hang out with my friends and be normal but the there is physical pain associated with the reactive ringing and I'm in awful shape mentally. Please help

2. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      CapedCrusader2 Hang in there. I have had loud T that I hear over everything for over a year now. Loud music and headphone use was the cause. I know these words are just flying by your eyes, making no impact on you whatsoever but just know that you're not alone. I suggest you get your hearing checked for infections, wax or hearing loss and go from there. It's a shitty thing to have and people are even more shitty by not speaking out about it to make people aware.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @CapedCrusader2,
      Sorry to hear your having a tough time and your mood i s so low.
      The unwanted emotions are hard going but don't suffer in silence.
      Ring MIND for 10 free 50 minutes of counselling or the Samaritans for talking therapy and medication off your doctor.

Try sound therapy to help you set below your tinnitus sound to distract your mind from tinnitus.
      There are free apps to download to help you too.
      Welcome pm me anytime and always around to support you......lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CapedCrusader2
      Inspired

CapedCrusader2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/Anxiety
      @glynis in the beginning I was masking it easily with my TV but now my TV makes the ringing react, I don't get it

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Keep the TV on low and turn it up over the next few days.
      you could have hyperacusis with your tinnitus now ( meaning over sensitive to sound ) and might need a ENT refural or see audiology.....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    6. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

@CapedCrusader2

Really sorry to know that you are feeling so low right now. It's cold comfort to say this but you're not alone. Almost all of us have been, or still are, where you are at right now. Believe me, we understand what you are feeling, the fear, the anxiety, the depression -- all of it. It's horrible to experience and sadly our family and friends often cannot relate. But we, here, can.

Right now you are in the acute phase of this malady. The good news is that it often gets better in time as your brain habituates to the tinnitus and/or the anxiety and depression revolving around it dissipate. The bad news sometimes it takes awhile to get to a good place with it. But please know that many, many people do "recover" to a point where they feel better and can resume their lives.

In the meantime I'd ask if you've seen your doctor and/or an ENT? Yes, they can be clueless at times so you might have to become your own educator regarding tinnitus. Pretty much all of us have at some point. But, since you are feeling so depressed you should talk to your doctor about getting some mental relief. If your primary doc doesn't want to prescribe anything then get a referral to a mental health MD. (No, this does not mean that you are crazy. It means you are suffering from a horrible affliction that is overwhelming you. No shame in that as we have all pretty much been there too.) A psychiatrist can help address the issues of anxiety, depression and also sleep deprivation. At the very least don't deny yourself some relief from these horrible feelings, even if it's only temporary. Many of us have needed help getting over the initial shock of this damn thing.

I would also caution about isolating yourself too much. It's a normal reaction to have but it's probably not that healthy to do. So explain to your friends that you have tinnitus and it's pretty bad and that you are going to wear ear plugs when you guys are out socializing. And also that you are going to avoid noisy environments in general. Explain that you aren't being a jerk but that you simply can't handle those situations. If they don't understand then that's on them. But chances are if you're good enough friends they will accommodate you in some regard.

Lastly, don't give up. It's still fairly early into this problem for you and chances are it won't be easy for awhile. But, like I said, in time there is a good chance that you will habituate and/or adapt to your new reality and will feel much better about life. Again, tons of people on this site have been exactly where you are right now and they have gone on to reach a place where they feel much, much better. So read the success stories to remind yourself that "getting back to good" is a very real possibility. (y)

Zorro~

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CapedCrusader2
      Inspired

CapedCrusader2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/Anxiety
      @Zorro! I was on Zoloft for anxiety and about 3 days into the medication is when my
      Tinnitus started, so I stopped taking it and am still scared to start anything back up as I'm afraid it had something to do with it. I was reacting really bad to the Zoloft, and even experienced what I'd call "hallucinations" while taking it prior to the ringing. I do take melatonin to help sleep.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      what kind of hallucination did you get?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CapedCrusader2
      Inspired

CapedCrusader2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/Anxiety
      @nills i woke in the middle of the night. My room was pitch black but when I closed my eyes I could see bright patterns. So bright it hurt my eyes and obviously scared me.