Jumped Awake by Spasm in Ears... What Could It Be?

Discussion in 'Support' started by FuzzyFrey, Dec 10, 2017.

1. FuzzyFrey
      Dreaming

FuzzyFrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sustained loud noise through headphones
      Hey guys, I'm not sure if my tinnitus is connected to this or not, but I thought I'd share anyway since it's all about ear issues and was wandering if I could get any thoughts or insight into this.

Starting in late October, I was suddenly woken by a loud noise in both my ears at the same time, like a microphone humming loud, a bit like the opening seconds of this;
      Feedback Sound Effect

The noise was sudden and lasted a split second, and left a bit of pain behind in the muscles behind my ears. The ear muscles sort of spasmed. Afterwards I'd get smaller 'jumps' without the feedback noise, but none the less keeping me awake. Imagine my brain being connected to a pair of jump leads, being given small 'jolts'. Most of the time it's both ears that are affected at the same time.

This phenomena happened a few times that first week and lasted until the end of October. I didn't get too anxious since it happened to me once two years ago (but that was a one off) but was a bit concerned. And then I had a total remission from the symptoms for the first ten days of November. Then the spasms came back, albeit without the loud noise, but nonetheless these "jumps" have since become a recurring feature to nearly every night since then.

They can come alone or in clusters, in the middle of the night but usually in the morning before I get up. They can wake me up in the night or can happen after I'm up and stop me going back to sleep. It's been doing my head in! I've not seen a doctor about this yet because I'm not sure if they can do anything, but I am pretty sure these symptoms aren't dangerous. Nevertheless, they have been causing me some distress and sleep disruption.

I am not sure what this is or how long it is likely to last, given I had a complete remission from the symptoms last month, albeit for a brief period. I suspect it could be linked to "Exploding Head Syndrome" (which I have been getting simultaneously to a lesser extent), as the nature of it behaves sort of similarly, but at the same time it also has characteristics that are of it's own. This only ever happens when I'm asleep, or trying to sleep. Never when I'm awake during the day.

What do you think it could be? Would be cool to hear what this is and what I can do about it.

2. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Exploding Head Syndrome?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. .bill

.bill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      from ear infection
      I would say its exploding head syndrome I go through the same thing. It's a benign thing and is harmless other than the waking us up. I had it pretty bad for 6 months then it quit but now and then it gets me. Like tinnitus there's no cure. I just ignore it along with the T

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      FuzzyFrey
      Dreaming

FuzzyFrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sustained loud noise through headphones
      I think you're right. I've read bits about EHS, or "Episodic Cranial Sensational Shocks" as it's also called, and it seems to cover a more broad spectrum than what many sources claim. Certainly isn't that uncommon either - my mum gets it in some way now and then.

Last night when I woke up in the night I had the EHS get me in the text book fashion, but at the same time I got the muscle spasm in my ears, I also often felt it in other parts of my body too like my limbs. Like a twitch. That there was confirmation for me that stress, while it might not have been responsible for the problem starting, does indeed contribute to the problem.

5. .bill

.bill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      from ear infection
      Agreed. But its a harmless thing at first made my legs twitch like a spasm of sort but it has dissapeared since. I don't give my T much notice any longer. Even when it spikes I can ignore it