Just Curious...

Discussion in 'Support' started by John, Mar 30, 2011.

tinnitus forum
    1. John

John Member

I know the answer is most likely no but i have to ask anyway.Is there an over the counter medication to help with the nasty anxiety? The reason i ask is because i lost my medical insurance last october (trying to get medi cal,that takes forever) and im about to run out of my Lorazepam and now is not a good time to run out. About a month ago my T super spiked and hasent gone back down so im fighting anxiety daily and i really need the help of meds right now.

John

2. bertson

bertson Member

"Kava, Valerian root, 5-HTP, St. John's Wort, L-Theanine are among the most popular." (Anxiolytic OTCs)

Herbal treatments

Certain natural substances are reputed to have anxiolytic properties, including the following:
      As of 2006, only Kava and Brahmi have shown anxiolytic effects in randomized clinical trials, and only Kava's effect has been independently replicated.[16]

Over-the-counter pharmaceutical drugs

Picamilon is a prodrug formed by combining niacin with GABA which is able to cross the blood-brain barrier and is then hydrolyzed into GABA and niacin. It is theorized that the GABA released in this process activates GABA receptors, potentially producing an anxiolytic response.[17] [18] Picamilon is sold in the United States as a dietary supplement, while in Russia it is sold over the counter.
      Chlorpheniramine[19] (Chlor-Trimeton) and diphenhydramine (Benadryl) have hypnotic and sedative effects with mild anxiolytic-like properties(off-label use). These drugs are approved by the FDA for allergies, rhinitis, and urticaria.

Lil bit of info I looked up for you. Lorazepam is in a league of its own... but maybe these can help?

3. rogerg

rogerg Member

Valerian and Rhodiola worked for me. Available otc. Lemme know if you try.

4. John

John Member

WOW ! thank you Bertson. looks like you really put alot of work in that reply and i so appreciate it. I have alot to work with now. the kava stuck out for me because my wife is a pacific islander and iv had thier traditonal kava brew, St. John's Wart worries me so im gonna stay away from that one, iv tried chamomile tea but it doesnt really do anything for me. ill let you know what i try and how it works. thanks again.

Rogerg thanks for the advice, when i try them ill let you know how they worked.

I broke down last night and went to the ER even though im still pending on medi cal application. lack of sleep and sever anxiety i just couldnt take it anymore. spent 4 hours in the ER, got a shot of activan in my arm and a script for some lorazepam. the shot in the arm was nice, it brought my T down to almost nothing and the anxiety vanished, i felt like my old self again.

Thanks again guys ill let you know what i try and how they worked.

John