Just Curious — Is There an Over the Counter (OTC) Medication to Help with the Nasty Anxiety?

Discussion in 'Support' started by John, Mar 30, 2011.

1. John

John Member

I know the answer is most likely no but I have to ask anyway. Is there an over the counter medication to help with the nasty anxiety? The reason I ask is because I lost my medical insurance last October (trying to get medical, that takes forever) and I'm about to run out of my Lorazepam and now is not a good time to run out. About a month ago my tinnitus super spiked and hasn't gone back down so I'm fighting anxiety daily and I really need the help of meds right now.

John

2. bertson

bertson Member

Below is a little bit of info I looked up for you. Lorazepam is in a league of its own... but maybe these can help?

Kava, Valerian root, 5-HTP, St. John's Wort, L-Theanine are among the most popular anxiolytic OTCs.

Herbal treatments

Certain natural substances are reputed to have anxiolytic properties, including the following:
      • Bacopa monnieri (Brahmi)
      • Lactuca virosa (Opium Lettuce)
      • Rhodiola rosea (Arctic Weed/Golden Root)
      • Hypericum perforatum (St. John's Wort)
      • Matricaria recutita (German Chamomile)
      • Mitragyna speciosa (Kratom)
      • Piper methysticum (Kava)
      • Sceletium tortuosum (Kanna)
      • Scutellaria spp. (Skullcap)
      • Valeriana officinalis (Valerian)
      • Salvia splendens (Not to be confused with Salvia divinorum)
      • Coriandrum sativum (Coriander)
      • Pineapple Sage (salvia elegans)
      • Inositol - In a double-blind, controlled trial, myo-inositol (18 grams daily) was superior to fluvoxamine for decreasing the number of panic attacks and had fewer side-effects.
      • Cannabidiol
      As of 2006, only Kava and Brahmi have shown anxiolytic effects in randomized clinical trials, and only Kava's effect has been independently replicated.

Over-the-counter pharmaceutical drugs

Picamilon is a prodrug formed by combining niacin with GABA which is able to cross the blood-brain barrier and is then hydrolyzed into GABA and niacin. It is theorized that the GABA released in this process activates GABA receptors, potentially producing an anxiolytic response. Picamilon is sold in the United States as a dietary supplement, while in Russia it is sold over the counter.
      Chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton) and diphenhydramine (Benadryl) have hypnotic and sedative effects with mild anxiolytic-like properties(off-label use). These drugs are approved by the FDA for allergies, rhinitis, and urticaria.​

3. rogerg

rogerg Member

Valerian and Rhodiola worked for me. Available otc. Lemme know if you try.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John

John Member

WOW! Thank you Bertson. Looks like you really put a lot of work in that reply and I so appreciate it. I have a lot to work with now. The Kava stuck out for me because my wife is a Pacific Islander and I've had their traditional Kava brew. St. John's Wart worries me so I'm going to stay away from that one. I've tried chamomile tea but it doesn't really do anything for me. I'll let you know what I try and how it works. Thanks again.

@rogerg, thanks for the advice, when I try them I'll let you know how they worked.

John

• Like Like x 1
    5. Jelli

Jelli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1980
      Several CBD (NON-THC) product blends have been reported effective for anxiety.

6. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
    7. Sironketchup

Sironketchup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL / Stress / Covid?