Leaving on a Jet Plane . . .

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tinker Bell, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      . . . but I actually do know when I will be back again. :)

I have a question regarding seat selection. I have read repeatedly that in front of the engines is best, but what if that is not an option?

I will be flying on a smaller plane (737) with limited seating options. Would it be better to have a seat on the wings directly by the engines or a seat near the back as far from the engines as possible? I'd think that if you must sit behind the engines, further away would be better but not sure.

I plan to pick an aisle seat, which I have read is quieter. I'm also bringing along EarPlanes, earmuffs and noise canceling headphones to give myself ear protection options.

Thanks in advance for any input!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      I did the same, picked a seat in the front (so I thought), it was like just next to the engine and it felt really loud anyway (row 15). It really depends on the airplane, usually the best seats are for business class. I would try to sit to the front and on an aisle seat. It will in the best case, make it feel less loud but planes are loud anyway unfortunately so the protection you bring will be good just to get that annoying engine sound off a bit.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Thank you for responding! For the flight back, sitting ahead of the engines is not an option. My choices are either directly behind or as far back as possible. I'm leaning towards as far back as possible.

4. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I've taken a couple of flights since the tinnitus started. The first ones were just 2 hour flights and they were actually quite pleasant. The noise of the plane masked (usually unmaskable) tinnitus and I was able to read. The flight spiked it as usual, but I remember it going back down after resting in the hotel room and then having a drink with dinner. What I found most annoying on that flight was the flight attendant shouting into the microphone. That was worse than the plane noise, but it was only on one leg. The second flights were 8 and 10 hours flights. The 8 hour flight included wine and 2 hours of sleep. It was extremely noisy, but the wine must have helped because the tinnitus went back down after the flight. Coming back was the same level of noisiness but with added anxiety and distress due to a crying sick child behind me for 10 hours. The tinnitus spiked and stayed high for 2 days. I also got sick, so it was probably due more to that than anything.

All of those flights were before I got the Bose headphones, thus I had no ear protection. I'm taking a couple more 2 hour flights in a few weeks and am looking forward to using the Bose. My tinnitus still spikes even when I wear headphones, but it still feels better because even though the tinnitus is loud there's less noise overall.

Another thing to keep in mind is some airports are very noisy, so you may need to use the headphones in the airport. Also, the jetbridge might be super loud! Definitely wear the phones in the jetbridge.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Thank you, this is very helpful information! My flight will only be two hours, so I think that will make it a bit easier too.

6. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Have a safe trip :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      I'm a frequent flyer and unless you are in first class it's almost impossible to get forward the engines, I usually take the first row after first class and that's even with the engines. Having said that, I measure with a db meter app that the cabin noise is no louder than driving on a highway. Enjoy the flight.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      I have no idea, never flown before. But I wish you a safe and a t problem free flight.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Pick up a pair of Bose QC35 in duty free. They really are amazing, cut the jet noise to zero and you can enjoy an in flight movie too if available :)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Thank you for all of the responses! I'm feeling less apprehensive. The trip isn't for a few months, but I need to secure airfare now. It will be my kids' first time flying, so I want to make sure I'm not an anxious mess because that will add to their nervousness.

11. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      Download a db meter app on your phone and start measuring places you feel are loud. If riding in a car at highway speed doesn't bother you the plane won't either, they measure about the same. The only time it gets a little loud is after landing when they reverse the thrust but you can just put your hands over your ears for that brief 30 second interval but even that's not necessary it's so brief.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      I think it will be fine no matter!
      I've traveled sitting and the window (I had no choice, trust me I really didn't want to be there) and also sitting both just next to the wing and behind it, it is mostly up to what kind of airplane it is. The really new Airbus planes are much quieter now than the older ones so where you sit should matter less. Just bring protection and you will be good to go, even if it is not super loud, it can feel rather annoying and fill one with anxiety. It's more of a "peace of mind" for us as we tend to get anxious and sitting on a plane it is impossible to go anywhere else :p

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      That is good to know! Within the last few months, I have had eight different times where I spent at least five hours in the car traveling on the interstate. I thought nothing of it the first trip. The second trip I panicked after reading on TT about how loud cars can be! :confused: Luckily I calmed down and was fine for the other trips.

My options were around 12 hours one-way in the car with my children or a two hour flight. I figured my ears and sanity would prefer two hours! :LOL:

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      So true. My anxiety is such a big part of this. My children always pick up on my anxiety, too, and I want to make sure they enjoy their first flight and our vacation. I'm even thinking of getting them some earmuffs. They've never been fans of loud noises, and I think muffs might help them.