Left Ear Tinnitus Cause?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Musiclover, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Musiclover

Musiclover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey, so I’ve had a brain MRI to rule out an acoustic neuroma. Results were clear.

But the 5 month ringing in my left ear just keeps on going. ENT has no clue what causes it. Does anyone have similar experience or know of what could be the cause?

This all started after a long course of antibiotics and an extraneous loud rock concert in a small venue.

But it’s only the left ear so I’m confused. The ringing from the show was in both ears and I’m pretty sure it all went away before the left flared up.

2. Emelie

Emelie Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (stress, tooth infection, medication, TMJ?)
      Hi! What kind of antibiotics and why did you take it? Infections can cause tinnitus...

/Emelie

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      An antibiotic and/or infection could have been the trigger and not necessarily the cause. My tinnitus started soon after being prescribed an antibiotic but years of earphone use probably caused the damage leading to tinnitus.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Musiclover

Musiclover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was on four different antibiotics back to back to kill a persistent sinus infection. My nose is broken and I get about 2 sinus infections per year. Some Antibiotics stopped working so I had to try 4 different ones to finally kill last infection.

Yes I’ve listened to loud music for a very long time and I ride a motorcycle with the earphones cranked to block out the wind sound. But....I still can’t explsin why one ear only. And why now. Maybe my MRI without contrast dye missed a tumor. Lol.

5. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      which 4 anti-biotics were you on. I actually started with tinnitus in my left ear while on a high dose of amoxicillin. I DJ'ed and noticed I was uncharacteristically sensitive to the speaker next to me. My ear kind of had a strange sensation and my left ear felt kind of ticklish.

The next day I noticed the bad breaks on a passing car bothered my ears more than usual. That night in addition to my antibiotic I took one Vicodin for pain and I woke up with ringing in my left ear.

I thought the antibiotic may have had a side effect of sensitivity to noise. It must have been the perfect storm that made myself more vulnerable. My right ear eventually developed tinnitus but it's not as annoying as my left.

6. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Honestly I would guess your tinnitus is either from sinus issues or the antibiotics. Get a hearing test done to rule out hearing loss.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Musiclover

Musiclover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was on Amoxicillin, Azithromycin, Cefprozil and then finally Clavulin. All in a row. Back to back. I have been to ENT and had hearing test (failed left ear and that slight hearing loss led ENT to order brain MRI. Nothing detected on MRI.

So why just my left ear?? It’s insane. Yes I went to a super-loud concert right as I was finishing the antibiotics and my ears were definitely ringing afterward. But it seemed to go away. Not sure why left ear started all of a sudden 5 months ago and never stopped. It’s just as loud and constant today as if I had just come from a concert. I’m convinced it’s a tumor. Even though the mri said no. Nothing else makes sense to me.