Lidocaine. Did It Myself. Twice. Lowered Tinnitus from 7 to 1.

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by tinnitube, Mar 14, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. tinnitube
      Supportive

tinnitube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2105
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damn virus
      Hello sufferers, first my apologies if my grammar is too bad, as English is not my first language.

I did my self the Licocaine injection. Let me tell my story first.

I work in the ER service, on the 5 of August 2015, suddenly I was working and felt that somebody pulled me backwards, it was very strange I thought it was because I swim too much and didn't eat immediately.

I've been all my life a triathlete, eaten well, haven't smoked etc, good pressure etc etc.

Half an hour later I felt the same and an hour and a half later, I was extremely dizzy, I couldn't walk.

I know it was the inner ear but didn't know what was the cause, at first I believed it was barotrauma from swimming.

The ambulance took me home and I stayed in bed hoping the next day all will be ok, but to my surprise wasn't.

And I saw an ENT and a Neurologist.

"Will last one week, don't worry".

At the end of the week I was more dizzy.

At day 10 I developed ringing in my left ear , not bad but enough to worry but honestly with the dizziness I didn't think about the sound.

I started to take steroids by me self, dexamethasone did the trick of keeping the dizziness away a little, meanwhile I traveled to see an otoneurologist and he told me "labyrinthitis, you will have 6 to 8 months this condition".

And gave me the same steroids I was taking and at the end of the third month told me start to take betahistine, but a minimum of 48mg a day. No problem taking over 100mg but it's too expensive.

The dizziness lasted 5 to 6 months.

Steroids did a very good job in keeping the inflammation down.

But little by little the tinnitus started to show...

And this week I thought I was going crazy.

First time in my life my mind says "better to be dead than with this noise."

I mean seriously, I had to go to the drug store at 12.30 am and buy Xanax XR , took 2.5mg to calm down.

I literally during weeks before tried everything because of working in the health field.

Yesterday I was in the E.R. working and said, "what the hell", I'm going to try the lidocaine thing.

Took one lidocaine of 100mg/5ml, diluted it in 15cc of saline solution and with a butterly needle injected it to myself IV very, very, slowly.

The sound immediately went down. I'm saying I was so bad I thought to disappear.

But the sound diminished instantly .

Imagine 10 is tinnitus related with suicide, at that moment I was at 7 .

The sound diminished to 3.

The next day I repeated but this time with slow perfusion and 300mg like in 3 hours.

The sound is now at 1.

I'm not recommending this to "try it out yourself" of course, but I was lucky that I work in the ER and have all the stuff there.

Just want to share with you this experience.

It's been two days of normal life and I was going literally crazy.

Please ask anything.

I will try to do my best to answer because I know the pain that this condition causes.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    2. TinThom

TinThom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion
      How long do you plan on injecting lidocaine?

3. tinnitube
      Supportive

tinnitube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2105
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damn virus
      i do not know . I think 3 days in a row is safe enough like the clinic in the US does . I did not have any side effect . normal blood pressure ,normal heart beat , no strange feelings nothing , but did very slowly . Maybe 3 days and then repeat in one month I dont know really . I also dont know also why the sound diminish with lidocaine , but I will keep this updated .

4. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma from airplane descent, noise exposure? ETD? TMJD?
      How long does your injection last calming down your tinnitus? Any dangers involved? Anyway, glad you got some relief. Nice post.

5. tinnitube
      Supportive

tinnitube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2105
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damn virus
      The first one I did was yesterday like at 8 pm local hour of chile . at 9 am of today I was surprised that the typical sound did not went up when I awake , so it was at the same level when I applied the first injecton at 8pm yesterday . I then take another IV . its been 28 hours and the sound is in level 1 . I do not know if this is going to keep in level 1 or what .

6. tinnitube
      Supportive

tinnitube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2105
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damn virus
      In theory there are dangers involved like hypotension or arrhythmia if you get a very high dose or too quickly the IV

7. attheedgeofscience
      Uninvolved

attheedgeofscience Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Injury
      I will not ask, but rather mention something. Lidocaine and its impact on lowering tinnitus (IV) is a well-known fact within tinnitus circles. In fact, it is sort of similar to an axiom in mathematics: something which other axioms are built on. Researchers don't know why Lidocaine works that way, but that doesn't matter, the important take-away is that tinnitus can be lowered pharmacologically. The down-side to Lidocaine is its side-effects which are unacceptable for long-term treatment and only temporary in lowering tinnitus. Hence the reason it isn't used for that purpose.

So yes, you have sort of "discovered" an important fact - but, it is already known. Not sure, I agree with your other posts (from other threads) of using steroids for as much as one month. But that is another matter. A doctor is entitled to his opinions, I suppose.

8. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      I should come visit you sometime.

9. tinnitube
      Supportive

tinnitube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2105
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damn virus
      do you know what temporary reffers to , how much time in real . For me temporary means minutes . but today its beeing 36 hours and still level one .
      About steroids , depends. when prescribing low power steroids like prednisone is no problem taking a little longer . but high power ones like betametasone or dexa are not recommendable for one month . Its better in that case take them 3-4 days , then continue with low power ones like metylprednisolona , if Ive got that information the first day of my laberynthitis , im very sure the infection will not involve the auditory portion but just the balance system , but neither the ent nor the neurologist told me . only the otoneurologist , but 10 days makes the difference of tinnitus or not in this cases .

• Like Like x 1
    10. snow86
      Surrender

snow86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 - Extreme T since 12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      see "information" on profile page. Crippled by extreme T
      I had about 10 injections (behind the ears, one injection per week) a year ago done by an ENT.

Sometimes it worked like an anestethic (because thats what it is) and gave me some degree of relief for maybe an hour. But overall it was pretty much useless.

11. tinnitube
      Supportive

tinnitube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2105
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damn virus
      i think this has to take contact with the cochlea or auditory nerve to make effect .

12. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      IM injections like you had may be fundamentally different from the IV injections that OP did. There's a reason heroin users prefer IV....

13. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
    14. tinnitube
      Supportive

tinnitube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2105
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damn virus
      hello , yes is low . Not complete silence , like when I inject the lido . But is low , it has lowered the tone , has become less intrusive , doesn´t bother me like before . now its like 1.5 / 10 . but the ennergy of the sound is more weak than before . Before it was si high energy that my ear hurts . now for example I dont hear the T in traffic , before the IV ive hear the T in traffic . Today I ate in a restaurant (low noise) and was surprised that didnt feel it . When i speak by cell phone , the sound of the phone when is just on and the other person doesnt speak is enough to mask the T . Before IV I was always hearing it , is like its much more less powerfull or noise , like a little lower in Khz also .

• Genius Genius x 1
    15. tinnitube
      Supportive

tinnitube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2105
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damn virus
      I did an audiometry (online test) and gain a some dB in the 4khz to 8 khz region , probably the T was with more energy and masking that frequency . I think this treatment has potential to do even better but if repeated because the ennergy of the sound of my T changes . But id like to hear real experiences if anybody has done it like in more long period ? for example 3 days in a row , each month . three months ?? of course high dose of this is dangerous . But for me 100mg , thats a low dose did very good and I hadnt any adverse effect .

16. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @tinnitube how long have you had T before you tried the lidocaine?

I'm on month 4, I wonder if I could convince a doctor here to try this with me.

• Winner Winner x 1
    17. tinnitube
      Supportive

tinnitube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2105
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damn virus
      its very difficult (impossible) to tell you if this will work on you . Ive been studying the literature about this , and not all people get the same results . some persons dont get any result . some get more results some less . its not a cure , you have to know . but seems that the perception change , the T get less instrusive . Making this in any place of the planet would lead to similar kind of same results , one group of persons will not respond , other will . Nobody knows , nobody knows also the long term effects because I havent read any study that shows some permament relief they all are based on some temporal line of study . For me its been of help , but the real silence seems to fade away like in 2 or 3 days and then I feel the T less intrusive , still there but less intrusive . Im not sure if this can be an habituation factor , but when "on silence" the audiometry gets better so the T does get better during that period .

18. tinnitube
      Supportive

tinnitube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2105
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damn virus
      I think this must be done along with some kind of therapy also like TRT to get the best results .

19. wizman

wizman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1987
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fireworks
      I dont think Lidocaine work for trauma T

20. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      what is trauma t, and what patient that use lidocain has?

21. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      I went to the dentist one time and had local anaesthetic on the T side for a filling. T went right down until it wore off.

• Like Like x 1
    22. RaZaH
      Not amused

RaZaH Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yep, same here

23. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      Think I'll go to the dentist to have all my teeth done then. Tinnitus is at a all time high at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
    24. AlexSongitus

AlexSongitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      This is exactly what happened with me when I did my AM-101 injections. Instant silence and relief by the time they vacuumed the Lidocaine out. I even asked the doctors, look if AM-101 doesn't work, can't I just come in for some sessions of Lidocaine and suctioning?

It is temporary, but you are sooooooooooo lucky to have access to that and be able to do it yourself. I wonder what happens if you had a way to constantly do it over the course of a month. I assume it's very dangerous to keep poking your ear drums over and over, especially by yourself. If only there was a less intrusive way, but equally effective, to get the Lidocaine to penetrate into the cochlea.

But way to go for having the guts to do this!

25. tinnitube
      Supportive

tinnitube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2105
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damn virus
      hello all . Ive been with low T all this time not in crisis . today I repeat 200mg IV of lido of with precautions obvisously , I did not have any side effect . well yes a little , the tip of my tongue felt like strange that was the only thing I felt . T again went very down . But one thing curious happens , the first time . with less lido the T went very , very quiet . It is like it worked best when I had more sever or crisis T . Any way with 200mg is very low now . It is 1 am here not a single noise , just a little T . im just arriving from all day shift in ER so took some lido and did it again . In general is safe to do it SLOWLY and in not high doses , I think after 200mg must be diluted like they do in shea clinic and also depends on how big you are . but in general if youre a healthy person , only with T , is safe . Lido is very cheap im lucky we have this in the ER . AlexS , remind this is EV treatment im doing . It seems that reaching certain point the effect is less pronunced that the first time . Hope this clear more doubts about the EV procedure .

• Like Like x 1
    26. AlexSongitus

AlexSongitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Oh ok, you mean intravenous? Sorry for misunderstanding.

If Lidocaine is still having such an effect, wouldn't that mean that we are still talking about some sort of inflammation in the ears causing T? Even after 8 months?

27. undecided
      Fine

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      @tinnitube isn't 200mg taken at once a bit on the dangerous side? Especially since you're doing them IV?
      I'm not a doctor or anything, just wondering since the usual dose is around 10-20mg.

• Creative Creative x 1
    28. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Would xylocaine work?

29. tinnitube
      Supportive

tinnitube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2105
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damn virus
      I really dont know . Im an MD . but I dont know . I think not because would go away with some steroids . I think has something to do with ion channels . But I have to be honest . The effect was not as impressive the last time . So I would suggest this , to go out from a T spike crisis . Maybe found relief in moderate T also . But its not cure .

30. tinnitube
      Supportive

tinnitube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2105
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damn virus
      Im an MD working in the ER and sports field . but also tinnitus sufferer . :) 10-20mg total dose is very , very low . will not have any effect . one ampoule . I thinks thats the term ? "we say here ampolla" has 100mg in 5ml . so Id dilutw 10ml in 10ml of saline solution . The key is to pass it IV , very slowly , like 30-40 minutes . I think using more will need to be diluted much more . You cant take 100mg (5ml) in one minute , that will sure cause you some dangerous side effect like hypotension or some bradicardia , so always has to pass it minimun in 10-20 minutes .