Loudness Question — When People Talk About How They Can Hear Their Tinnitus Over Things...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marie79, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      When people talk about how they can hear their tinnitus over things... Like "I can hear my tinnitus over the TV or at a restaurant."

Does that mean it's LOUD over those things? Or do you think it means that if you REALLY REALLY REALLY pay attention you can hear it?

2. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I can hear it over everything. It's loud in the quiet, and loud in the noisy. I don't have to pay attention to hear it over noise. It's always : T first, external sound next.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Sorry to hear about this Foncky. Have you got the sound machine yet?

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It can mean your tinnitus is loud @Marie79 or it is just intrusive, like when you mentioned paying attention to it that's when it can seem louder. Are you using sound enrichment at night as it can help?
      Michael

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      That is VERY helpful to know. I think the answer I always heard wasn't always clear (not intentionally). Like we measure the volume depending on what environment we can hear it in. That answer though can sound the same but be very different. You answered it in a very clear way.

I hope I am making sense!!

6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Mine too @Foncky .
      How are you coping.....lots of love glynis

7. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      @Michael Leigh Not yet, I'll try to use the one I already have first. It's not bad, just that the sounds are very short, like 15 seconds each.

Thanks for the reference though.

I think my T is very present because of the hearing loss at 6000Hz and 8000Hz (from 60 to 40 dB).

@glynis thank you glynis, not coping really... I just can't forget about it. How do you manage ? ;(

8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I hear mine over pretty much everything too. Restaurants, TV, playing drums, air show (the Raptor is loud, but so is my T).
      In the shower, on good days I only hear it if I look for it, other days it stands out no matter what.
      The best masking sound I found is the faucet running water, as long as I move my head down close to the water.

I have tried sound machines and apps, and found that they didn't help me.

9. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      It can be hard but I try to enjoy as much as I can of the day and not let my ears win and tell myself I'm stronger than my tinnitus.
      Look forward to good times and make plans and count my blessings and family and try focus on other things but I know it can be hard to do.

When I'm having a tough time I generally go quiet on the forum for a day or so as need time out for myself.
      I try face each day with a smile on my face and try to laugh each day and help others.
      Keep pushing for positivity even in down times and tearful times as I know the sun will come out again when get through the storm...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It isn't LOUD. It's just high pitch and the volume constantly varies. So I can be by the beach and for a split second hear a high pitch shrill that still isn't loud but it's grimacing? I've had fleeting T that IS loud so I know when it can be louder.

11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Foncky. Since you have hearing loss, a hearing aid can often help with tinnitus are you able to wear one?

• Like Like x 1
    12. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      I can hear mine if I stand outside yet when I am inside in the quiet it is very hard too hear. When I am out walking around I can always hear a hiss in the background along with high pitch pinging sounds.

I can hear it over most sounds as it just reacts too the sound. I don't see it as being loud when it is covering other sounds I see it as interfearance in my hearing. It really is very depressing :(

13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Marie79 You have to try and stop paying attention to the tinnitus and this can take time. When you fully habituate you will hear this high pitch sound and it won't bother you so much. If you sleep in a quiet room, then I suggest to try using sound enrichment at night. It can help your brain to push the tinnitus further into the background so it doesn't appear so intrusive during the day. This takes time. If it is possible, try using sound enrichment during the day too.
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Thank you, I will remember those words. But I'm afraid I'm not that brave ;(
      Like today, a loud hammer woke me up : I can barely go through the day... I'm just waiting for tomorrow, hoping I'll forget about what happened and that my ears don't suffer more because of it.
      T has been winning for almost one year... That's like the end of my supremacy over it : I won for 11 years before that.

I'm afraid not, my hyperacusis is very high. I really fear that the hearing aids would make things worse. To me it's like headphones, a potential danger because it amplifies noise just next to your eardrum.

I have that too, reactive T. Mine is not as loud during the night as during the day, but still too loud to go on normally.

15. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      @Marie79 - Can hear it over many things without looking for it, unless it's a loud environment, then will have to search for a few seconds...the pitch is high...try to surround myself by sounds all the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Mt T is also very high almost electrical so it takes alot of sound to mask it. It s hard to believe but as I have habituated there are times that it just fades into the background and I actually dont hear it. Then there are other times that I am listening to T big time although it doesnt frighten me but is just a bit annoying. At night I use nature sounds from utube {birds chirping] and it blends with my T for sleeping. I never hear T at the gym or in the shower even if I listen for it...

17. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I wouldnt say mine is loud but i hear it alongside the tv as its a different frequency so it kinda sticks out along side it if that makes sense.

18. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Will add to what is commonly said here. I have moderate T in the sound of a high frequency hiss and can hear it above the TV generally as I don't like to listen to the TV loudly because of my mild H...but...if I am engrossed in what's on the TV...a show I really like, I can forget all about my T. I am in and out of T recognition basically throughout the day. I am not fully habituated because T is still noticeable to me...but if I am outside...swimming or cycling, I don't notice it. In a room of 10 people talking, it fades away as well. I notice it in a car ride home however...or in a quiet room. Also, my T almost never keeps me from sleeping. I fall asleep pretty naturally.
      My experience.

19. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Do people hear it in the shower?

20. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Is your t noise induced??

I don't hear it in the shower. Water noise is awesome lol

21. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Haha sure is man.

22. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Maybe noise induced over a lifetime of noise exposure...but not a precipitating event I can recall.

23. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      No airbag you didn't notice ? ;p

24. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I think sometimes the pitch of the T can make it stand out over loud sounds. High pitched T is hard to mask and can often still be heard in loud environments. On bad high pitched electrical T days I hear it pretty much over everything without listening out for it. Is it the loudness or the pitch making it stand out?

25. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      I can hear mine over everything. Bars, restaurants, highways, etc but not in the shower. It is very high pitched electrical sound that even cannot be masked with masking apps.

• Hug Hug x 1
    26. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      Mine changed alot since onset...no longer have the "eeeing" noise. Its now high pitch at around 8000 khz. On a bad day i can hear it over anything because of the pitch (except for shower and hissing sounds. The sound of my sink is the best). Good sleep seems to resolve (or at least lessen the loudness of it) that which i have no issue getting. When i had the lower pitch "eeing" i never noticed it outside or in the car. One thing i will say that due to the change in pitch and the fact that the sound has gotten lighter it no longer bothers me. i still listen to the general fuzz acrn everyday and feel like it helps a lot. Really feel like i am improving. I am really so thankful its not the way it used to be. I can live with this.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    27. super_slav
      In pain

super_slav Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      Mine is around 8000hz in pitch and I can hear it over everything, it is very annoying, I take clonazepam to take the edge of my stress but, the noise is getting louder over the years even though I wear hearing protection and do not expose myself to loud noises.

28. Chadilac

Chadilac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Mine is a high pitched Eeeeeeeeee tone. I’m 4 months in and nowhere near habituation. I can hear it over near everything. While outside walking, inside Walmart or the grocery store, while driving and while watching tv. The only place I don’t hear it is while in the shower.

I use hearing aids for sound enrichment to blend with the tinnitus as recommended by my audiologist. When it’s really bad and I cannot take it anymore, I’ll mask it with white noise until I calm down and can stand hearing it again. The last week I’ve been getting better at tolerating it for longer periods of time. It’s always at the forefront of my mind and it’s all I can think most of the time.

• Hug Hug x 5
    29. GaryTH
      Panicky

GaryTH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure, stress, NSAIDS, eabuds, shingles vaccine
      I'm in the same boat, going on 6 months. What really helps me calm down is hikes out in nature or near the ocean. Natural masking ambient sounds are much more soothing. Sometimes, the artificial masking sounds will drive my anxiety as well.