Lower Tinnitus Volume Increased Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Support' started by Natalie Roberts, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      Hello everyone! I took a little break from this website for the last week. I think I'm about 10 weeks into this now.. Anyway, I've noticed some changes to my tinnitus. Over the last week I've had periods during the day where my tinnitus is gone or extremely low volume 1/10 but gets louder again at night and doesn't bother me hardly at all. I had at least one day where it was completely gone all together until I went to bed when it came back. More good days then bad days it seems however even though the volume of my T has been more quiet it seems like my sensitivity to noise is heightened. Sometimes my T seems more like its vibrating my head then an actual sound of that makes sense? I still have my bad days where the noise is pretty loud/reactive but the sensitivity is what's bothering me most of all. What's the deal with that? I haven't been exposed to any loud sounds and have been using ear plugs only when absolutely needed in loud situations. Yesterday the hearing in my left ear got extremely muted for about 1 minute then returned with a higher pitched ring then it went back to normal. I normally hear my regular hissing out of my right ear I think (hard to tell sometimes). I'm just not sure what my T is doing :/

Overall I suppose I've felt better about my T and felt I may be improving but the sensitivity is what's getting me now. Any tips?

On another note I have less then 2 weeks until my dr is going to attempt a minimally invasive procedure to get labor going (for medical reasons). I'm almost there guys!! I made it through with tinnitus and not taking anti anxiety drugs (like I initially wanted to at the onset ) with your help! Thank you all!

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I think you are experiencing a bit of middle ear muscle spasm. I've had those moments too where the hearing sort of drops out, a twisty pain occurs then it all bounces back sometimes slowly, sometimes quicker. Its not often and I just think of it as a passing anomaly now.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Interesting. This has happened twice. Yesterday and again today. What's getting me now is the increased sensitivity to sounds. I've always been sensitive and my t is reactive but it seems to be getting a little worse .

4. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How does your sensitivity present itself?

5. Pljadely@aol

Pljadely@aol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-26-2015

6. Pljadely@aol

Pljadely@aol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-26-2015
      How long have you been dealing with it all together. The pitch noise I have seem unbearable right now its at its loudest like the American broadcast commercial in my ear. Can they give me anything for the noise?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It doesn't hurt, like hyperacusis is described but almost makes me cringe. Certian people's voices for example are more annoying to me then others. Sometimes even my own voice bothers me. Like it echos. I prefer to keep things quiet most of the time. Then I get the sensation like the tinnitus is making my head vibrate.. And my tinnitus is also reactive so certian noises make it louder like the tv, driving noise , air conditioner etc.. It's really loud today and bothersome right now :/

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      About 10 weeks so far.. Depending on what caused your tinnitus and how far you are in since the onset they can give you steroids which sometimes help or there are drugs they can prescribe to lower sensitivity to noises. I haven't been prescribed anything so I have no advise.

9. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What you describe is very similar to mine at its worst. Its like I have a baseline tinnitus which is liveable, then this other thing appears that feels and sounds quite different. It will be there for two, maybe two&half days, then just settles back to baseline for one to three days (four is the most) then it recurs. I can identify no cause and effect that explains it, but I lean toward a version of middle ear myoclonus as a likely culprit. When it happens my ear crackles like someone rolling on bubble wrap when I pop it.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Have you found any way to help relieve it? Mine also fluctuates day by day. Several good days with very low T and then a loud day where the sound is totally aggravating. Then the sensitivity on top of it just drives me crazy sometimes!

11. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sleep. Good quality sleep seems one of the best ways.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Which I just realized is probably totally not reassuring to new Mother-to-be.

• Funny Funny x 1
    13. Pljadely@aol

Pljadely@aol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-26-2015
      I'm at a point where its driving me crazy I need hearing tests but I can't get that till tues. I have to go back to work and that is not even possible that I can work like this. After testing will they give me medication? I can't see how anyone can live with this.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ha. Yes, I will admit I am slightly worried about the stress of no-sleep causing my tinnitus to worsen.. I'm also trying to be optimistic that the tinnitus is caused by increased blood flow/hormones or something else pregnancy related so simply delivery may help the symptoms as I've been told is a possiblity. I guess only time will tell.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The hearing test is just the first step. My ENT wouldn't even see me until I had it done. It helps them determine if your tinnitus is caused by hearing loss or something else going on. Also checks pressure in the ears and other things like that. Tuesday isn't that far out for an appointment.. Did you have exposure to loud noise or take any medications prior to this starting? There are really no meds they can give you that make the sound go away, unforutnately it is not cureable. Tinnitus is treatable though and I know several people on this website who have been prescribed xanax or other benzo to help with anxiety and my understanding is that it lowers the volume of the T somewhat but is also addictive. If your tinnitus was caused by noise exposure sterroids are often helpful. Your tinnitus is new and from what I've been told and read here can go away on its own it just takes time.. Hope you're feeling better.

16. Pljadely@aol

Pljadely@aol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-26-2015
      Thank you no loud noise or anything that's described that I've been around. I work customer service claims and there's no way I can work in these conditions I'm emotional distressed and all the above if its forever I could not live with this. If I go to the emergency room would they admit me for something like this? For the testing etc...I'm just desperate for answers.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I highly doubt they would admit you. I don't think they do hearing tests at the ER. These are mainly done by an audiologist by appointment. From my understanding, tinnitus is very rarely caused by anything serious. The Er may give you medications to sedate you and calm you down, so if you feel you need that then yes I would go. They may also do an MRI which may help out your mind at ease. Unfortunately sometimes those with tinnitus don't get the answers we are so desperately searching for. They still don't know the cause of mine for sure as well as many other members here. You just learn to adjust to the sound. There are treatments available though should your tinnitus become extremely bothersome.. I know it's hard and scary in the beginning but it does get better..