MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paul David, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Paul David

Paul David Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late 90's
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music and computer noises
      Hi, I'm an audio engineer.

I switched from a desktop iMac to a MacBook Pro a few days ago. I spent all day uploading endless software revisions until I finally got everything gelling on the new MacBook Pro.

Then I tried to go to sleep. There is a constant high pitch ringing in my ears.

I'm very familiar with this sound. I suffered from it for years and now I know exactly why. Computer fans.

The iMac doesn't have them. The PCs I used to work on did. Now this MacBook does. I always thought it might be the fan or the hard drives but this MacBook Pro has a Solid State Drive so now I know for certain the cause of my incessant high pitch tinnitus.

I'm sure there are a lot of different causes for different people but this was a significant discovery for me. If you use a computer with fans try not using it for a an extended period of time. (I remember it took a while for mine to fade-months maybe?) but now that it's back I literally want to claw my ears off and I'm about to take a significant financial loss to switch back to a fanless system.

On a related note. Anybody want to buy a MacBook Pro? ... ehem

Paul David

2. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      How does the iMac cool itself down if it doesn't have fans :p?

Do you mean your T went away after using a fanless computer? And came back again after using a computer that fans?

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Could just be stress linked changing everything around.
      A bit of brain overload !

Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      yeah I work with a macbook pro for ~50 hrs a week, and I've definitely noticed that sometimes when the fan has been kicking at really high speed for a while it can amp my tinnitus up a bit. However, I also routinely go for days without using it and it's not like my tinnitus goes away, ha.

it's pretty impossible for me to rationally get away from electronics fans on any kind of long term basis, and I'm really, really skeptical that it's causing me any permanent harm, so I mostly just ignore it, it's just another thing on the list of stuff my job does to my body (carpal tunnel, forward posture, etc). Still beats the hell out of working in construction or something, and pays a lot better...

A less extreme option is to just use earplugs while using computers, which I do sometimes, but mostly because it helps me focus and less with thoughts of the fan.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Wojtek Kalka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      Hmm I work with proper studio earphones they cancel all can highly recommend AKG or Shure ... as a audio engineer get Shure 846 amazing . .. Laptops under power will ALWAYS be louder ... you can't change it .. or buy a macbook 12 without fans ... that is the way termodynamics work ... heat has to go somewhere ...

6. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Aren't you distracted with the sound of your tinnitus? When wearing earplugs mine becomes more pronounced and intrusive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      generally bothers me less with plugs in, the part of my brain that wants to seek out and obsess on the sound just says "yup, it's there, ok". I sleep with earplugs on a regular basis because of environmental sounds. So I'd say it becomes much more pronounced, and less intrusive.

I'm 20 years into this nonsense, though ;)

• Like Like x 1