Masker for Very Low Frequency Buzzing/Drone?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheDanishGirl, Oct 6, 2017.

1. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I have this horrible VERY low pitched buzzing/drone in my left ear these days, which can be both heard and also felt a little... it is not 24/7, but many hours everyday.

It drives me up the wall :( so does anyone know of a good masker for this?? The best I have found so far is a track of "smoothed brown noise" but it is still not effective enough.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Please remember @TheDanishGirl that tinnitus must not be masked "covered up" even if it is a low pitched buzzing as you describe, otherwise your brain will not habituate. Although you've only had tinnitus for around 4 to 5 months, you could try to see if your Hearing Therapist or Audiologist, will issue you with a White noise generator? Two should be worn preferably and set the volume "below your tinnitus" Ideally they should be used with counselling. Since your tinnitus has reduced and you're coping white noise generators could be beneficial. I have been using them for many years and a great believer in them. However, they must be used correctly. Two types are available. Behind the ear (BTE) which closely resemble hearing aid. Or in-ear. These are small and discrete and fit in the ear canal. They will treat your tinnitus and hyperacusis (desensitising the auditory system).

In time the low buzzing is likely to reduce and go away....

Michael

• Like Like x 1