Massive Spike from Low Volume High Pitched Frequency? Damage Done?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Darastonius, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Darastonius

Darastonius Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 november
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress (cured)
      So I have bilateral T since the middle for November, but it is super mild, never caused me problem sleeping or anything (except in the very first week).
      Rest of the details can be found here:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...-couldnt-find-much-about-similar-cases.25821/

Now the question is, that yesterday I was playing with a frequency generator, maybe I find a hearing loss or something. It was on the lowest volume possible, and the phone was in my hand stretched out as far as possible, not close to the ear. It was barely hearable and played in only for a second max, I wanted to emulate the hearing test, if I hear the different frequencies with each ear, plugging in one and listening with the other.

First I did up to 10000 Hz by 200 Hz increments, heard everything. Later 10000 to 15000, heard everything.
      Then later 15200, ok, 15400 ok, when I reached 15600 Hz, I heard it with both ears, but right after I switched off, both of my ears started screeching like crazy on that frequency from the middle of my head (where my T usually comes from).

It was by far worse than any other sound I experienced with T. I could barely sleep, it was unmaskable, but later I managed to get to sleep 4 hours, woke up, it was milder, slept 2 more hours, it went away, then I slept few more hours in silence.

Now woke up, it was silence, but it more or less creeped back after a while, the screeching sound. I don't know if I generated a new tinnitus, or something triggers this, I'm scared to try it again. I read about hyperacusis, but my ears don't hurt.

Any tips? Thanks for reading

• Like Like x 1
    2. JoshuaD2002
      Alone

JoshuaD2002 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi. My situation is literally identical to yours. I became paranoid about hearing loss so I listen to 8kHz for about 3 seconds a time, several times in the day. (At the lowest volume possible) to which I now have tinnitus.

Have you gotten any answers since you posted this or has your tinnitus settled?