May Have Discovered the Reason for My Recent Increase?

Discussion in 'Support' started by geg1992, Mar 2, 2015.

1. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      I'm wondering if a combination of flying and driving has caused my latest increase.

The flight was only 2 hours long, but only had earplanes in which didn't block out much noise if any. The take off was at 92db and cruising at about 85db. The tannoy announcement got as high as 95-100db.

Then I landed, the airport is noisy enough, had a 30 minute drive to our car in a van which was fairly loud, then got to my car and had a 2 and a half hour drive home.

I also had a meal in a restaurant before for an hour.

My car is what concerns me, I recorded the decibel on my drive to work this morning, it ranged from 84-94db, even got to 97 at one point.

Could this have caused an increase or does the 85db for 8 hours rule apply for people with T and H too? I've always thought to half it as I guess we're more susceptible to damage?

I may consider buying a new car, as it's very noise due to very low profile tyres.

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      are you sure your instrument is correct? 97db sounds insanely high for the inside of a car -- that's louder than a motorcycle typically is at 50mph.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The 97db may be when I put the phone down, but it's definitely between 84-94db. I have to raise my voice to talk to others.

4. AlecP
      Procrastinating

AlecP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (I think)
      Well a T spike after a plane journey would probably be normal, but I think your reaction to it probably exacerbated the T. I'm definitely the same in that, when it gets really loud some days, I start despairing and wish that I could just get rid of it.

Maybe just try and stop thinking about the reason for the increase and just do other things to get distracted? I know it's hard but as we all know, the more you monitor it the worse it will seem.

Wish you well :)

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, that's true! Thanks Alec.

Instead of making a new topic, do any of you know whether low sounds or high sounds are worse for your ears? Like listening to music, there will be a bass drop, which seems to be so much louder and vibrate my head, but will only record 75db?

Thanks!

6. AlecP
      Procrastinating

AlecP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (I think)
      I know that even if you use earplugs say at a loud bar or club, you can still come away with temporary tinnitus because of the bass vibrations going into your ears/head. Not sure if that answers your question because I don't know if it is damaging your ears, but definitely something to consider.

7. Stink

Stink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2000
      @geg1992 you really need to stop worrying so much... analysing, thinking... have you thought about seeing a CBT therapist?

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just want a new car really! :) I'm thinking about it though in all seriousness. I just have so many questions as I know so little!

9. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      @Stink is right, stop worrying so much! A temporary spike after a flight it's normal, it will lower.
      Follow the WHO rules:
      The WHO's safe listening times are:

• 85 dB - the level of noise inside a car - eight hours
      • 90 dB - lawn mower - two hours 30 minutes
      • 95 dB - an average motorcycle - 47 minutes
      • 100 dB - car horn or underground train - 15 minutes
      • 105 dB - mp3 player at maximum volume - four minutes
      • 115 dB - loud rock concert - 28 seconds
      • 120 dB - vuvuzela or sirens - nine seconds
      _81288645_line976.jpg
      The World Health Organization recommends keeping the volume to 60% of the maximum as a good rule of thumb.

For people trying to drown out the noise of flying or train journeys, it says noise-cancelling headphones allow music to be heard clearly at a lower volume.

And the WHO adds that ear plugs should be worn at noisy venues and advises taking "listening breaks" and standing far away from speakers at gigs.

_81292845_gettyimages_160592329.jpg

I have a sport car and I wear ear plugs when I drive on the highway. It should be enough for you do the same.
      All the best

10. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Your car sounds really loud. I have very low profile tires, large wheels and really stiff suspenion. My Db meter peaks at 80-85 absolutely max if I hit a large pot hole or something, and this is obviously only for a second and very rare. My ride is about 70db average and excelerating even close to red line only takes it up to about 75db. It's just the large bumps that jar the frame that seem to make the most noise, or high speeds-above 12okms. I guess all cars will be different but yours sounds loud!! Or maybe my db meter on my phone is off.

11. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @geg1992 , Bro, If your using your phone ap as a decibel reader they are not that accurate, there was another user a while back reported the phone ap db reader as being between 10 and 20 db out, mostly reading too high!

I don't even think my evo reaches any where near that level, (90db)!

Rich

12. Robb
      Question it

Robb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Hi Carlo,

thanks again for posting this. I came across this material as i searched for 'car horn' as i had a recent increase with T walking next to road when I heard briefly a car horn sound. I was say a 3plus meters from it away.

Above figures probably give an indication how to handle noise lcvels but in case of T sufferers, or say in my case shorter times are sufficient to create a spike.. Where maybe much from it is psychological.

This experience is making me doubt now to start using ear plugs when being outside near city traffic. My ent says like you that using ear plugs is not the solution, only when near very loud noises. What do you think?

My T is currently a mild to moderate 16,5 kHZ sound. I hope Autifony will help us.

thanks, when writing an asnwer plus have a great sunday

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wouldn't recommend over protecting. I suffer from H too, which can result from over protecting apparently. I'm sure someone else will confirm that as I'm no health expert. But H is far worse than T imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Buy a Ford Crown Victoria, lol.

Ford-Crown_Victoria_mp8_pic_33132.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      you are welcome @Robb. I really think that's enough to protect the ears when it's necessary. I mean, if you have a long walk everyday near city traffic probably better do it. By the way, lately I had a course of B vitamin complex and my T now lowered around 30%. I hope too Autifony will help us...have a nice evening

16. Robb
      Question it

Robb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Ok good tip! I will start buying Vitamin B complex. Have a good rest sunday