Medication-Induced Tinnitus Improved, But Neti Pot May Have Worsened It Recently

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Clarity033, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Clarity033

Clarity033 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medications, however neti pot may have just worsened it
      I'm new to this site, not to tinnitus. In 2014, an antidepressant triggered my tinnitus. I do not suffer from depression or anxiety. The doc prescribed the antidepressant off-label, for a different usage that was not mental health. I specify that info because I don't want my tinnitus to be accidentally misconstrued as part of a mental health disorder. No stigma against mental health; I just want the medical info here to be correct.

Anyway, I got off the horrible medication and, over the years, my tinnitus improved greatly. However, it recently flared back up on my third day of neti pot usage for a stuffed nose. Could the neti pot have done this? Please help:

Day 1 of neti pot usage - didn't notice any problems with ears
      Day 2 of neti pot usage - didn't notice any problems with ears
      Day 3 - I used neti pot in afternoon. At night, I noticed my ears ringing horribly
      Day 4 - I used a neti pot again, because I hadn't yet realized there might be a relationship. Ears were ringing before neti pot usage on this day and kept ringing afterward
      Day 5 - no neti pot. Ears ringing all day
      Day 6 (today) - no neti pot. Ears ringing all day. Went to emergency room and they did not see any water in my ears, nor bulging, nor infection

When I used the neti pot those times, I did blow my nose hard afterward, but don't recall feeling any pain or anything weird in my ears when I was blowing.

Did the neti pot do this to me? I've read the stories here about neti pots triggering tinnitus. Has anybody improved from neti pot-induced tinnitus?

@Amelia
      @Konstadinos

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I'm not sure, but why was your nose stuffy? What caused you to use the neti pot? Did you have a possible sinus infection? A bad cold?

The reason I ask is because viruses can cause hearing loss and tinnitus, too. Is it possible that the cause of your stuffy nose also caused your tinnitus?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Clarity033

Clarity033 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I did have a possible sinus infection, and that's why I used the neti pot. If it were the virus, then why didn't the tinnitus happen before the neti pot usage?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Clarity033

Clarity033 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I did have a possible sinus infection, and that's why I used the neti pot. If it were the virus, then why didn't the tinnitus happen before the neti pot usage?

5. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      In the case of viruses, it can take a while for the damage to manifest as tinnitus. I have hearing loss and tinnitus from a virus, but those symptoms did not show up with the onset of the virus.

Have you seen an ENT?

• Informative Informative x 1