Meeting with ENT Tomorrow. Really Freaking Out...

Discussion in 'Support' started by -serotonin-, Nov 28, 2018.

1. -serotonin-
      Frantic

-serotonin- Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 20, 2018 (probably?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue.
      I'm freaking out. Since last Wednesday I've had tinnitus. It's relatively mild, but it's there. My ears were really itchy one night and I used my fingers to scratch them, then I thought since I suffer from eczema, that might be the cause of the itching so I stupidly put a little bit of cream (just normal hand cream) on my pinky and swiped it inside my ear canal to try and relieve the itching.

My ears have been ringing since and I'm terrified that this is permanent.

I have such issues with loud sounds and have to bring earplugs to restaurants and movies. I didn't think this would happen to me. I'm only 17!! I've never been to a concert, never put my music above 3/4 blocks on my phone when I have earbuds in, and generally avoid loud situations because they are uncomfortable. I haven't slept well in days because I've been so afraid of this.

I read that it could be caused by earwax and they might try to remove it, but I heard horror stories of people's tinnitus getting worse from it and I don't want that to happen.

I'm afraid of all the stuff I've read online of it getting worse, or that thinking about it will make it permanent and louder, or that this will never ever go away. I just want silence again. I can't even remember if it's always been like this and I'm just now freaking out about it, or what.

I just got rid of all my fish tanks in preparation for leaving for college, so I no longer have the background noise of filters and bubblers and ticking light timers either, so that's what made me think maybe I just hadn't noticed it before.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      So you've had extra sensitivity to sounds prior to this "cream in ear canal" incident?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      -serotonin-
      Frantic

-serotonin- Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 20, 2018 (probably?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue.
      Yep. Had it since I was a baby. I think it's more of a sensory overload deal than hyperacusis because the sensory stuff also applies to things like touch and light.

4. bzzz

bzzz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/00
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hey, how did you ENT appointment go?

I've had tinnitus for a long time, and lots of things have made it worse for a short period - blocking your ear can certainly cause it to come on immediately in my experience, which is probably all you did. It may take a while to go away but if that's the cause your ear will hopefully fix that naturally.

Like you I have had sensitive ears my whole life, and I think that I initially got tinnitus around your age (I'm in my 30s now). I don't remember the day I got it, or even how, and honestly, that doesn't matter over time.

I notice you sound unsure if you have had it much longer and just not notice- notice how much your emotions will make this worse? My advice is to take each day as it comes for now, make sure you avoid overly loud environments, and otherwise just live life. The more you think about it, the louder it gets. Honestly.