Migraine — Anybody Else Suffer from Them? Impact on Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sarah101, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Sarah101

Sarah101 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      Hi,

I recently got tinnitus for 4 months now and I believe it is from TMJ. I have splints and they have stopped the muscle spasms of my face and a bit of the blocked ear feeling. I'm really coping at all, I'm terrified of everything and I'm a terrible mess. I swear I am more afraid now then I was right at the beginning.

I also suffer from migraines with the aura. I was wondering if anyone else suffers from these and if during the migraine the T becomes much louder? Does it go back down after the migraine? I'm terrified, they already hurt so much and I don't want to them to make it worse each time.

Sarah

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Welcome @sstace . I'm sorry to hear of your suffering. Tinnitus can be very difficult. It is frightening, infuriating, frustrating, and a whole lot of other "-ing"'s. Coping with it can be challenging. It can alter your ability to just live your normal life.

Try not to be scared (I know, much easier said than done). There is hope. If you have not yet, look for articles by @Michael Leigh. He has posted a number of them that contain great information that will help you better understand tinnitus, and even thoughts on how to approach working with medical professionals to get treatment.

Search out posts by @Bobbie7 and @billie48. They are extremely supportive and sympathetic. I find their posts inspirational and they have provided me with hope when I have felt there was none.

And, if you have not yet, read through the success stories. You will see that people can be cured, or if not, learn to habituate and return to a normal life.

And, one last thing; keep posting if you feel sad or frightened. You will find this community of ours extremely supportive, the names I have already mentioned, and many, many others, are always here and always willing to listen. I understand you are terrified, but you are not alone in your struggle. We are here for you; we will let you know it will be ok when you are scared.

As a fellow migraine suffer (I have not experienced the aura though) I sympathize with pain you experience. While mine are not associated with m tinnitus, I believe that some here have migraines that are.

You will get through this, and I hope happens soon. I also hope that you fine what you need here.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Tinnitus and migraines are often associated. It is extremely unlikely that the migraines will make your tinnitus permanently worse. You are probably tense during your headaches, especially if they are very painful. A common reaction to pain is to clench your jaw, you may not even be aware that you're doing it. This can affect your TMJ and your tinnitus, making it temporary worse. And for some people their tinnitus just spikes during a migraine, without TMJ.

It might be a good idea to see a doctor though. TMJ can sometimes cause inflamation in the temporomandibular joints, an steroidal anti-inflammatory drug such as prednisone can provide some relief. Besides from that, it sounds to me like you are very stressed and anxious because of what you're experiencing. Unfortunately, these emotions can aggravate your conditions. Staying calm is important, but I know it's easier said than done. One good way is to distract yourself whenever you start to feel anxious by doing something you enjoy.

Hopefully, this site can provide some relief. You'll find a lot of information here and get support from other users. You are not alone!

:huganimation:

4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Awwwwww i'm sorry that you are scared. It's going to be ok, all of this is new to you and that is why you are scared. It is perfectly natural to be worried, i'd be lying if i said i wasn't, or people on this board weren't. It's all a process and it takes some time to adjust and figure out.

If you have family or friends that you trust, then reach out to them and talk to them. This is a process and it takes time. Take it slow and just take it day by day. This board will always support you, so lean on the love that you get from these kind people :)

Take care....