Mild Tinnitus Getting Worse

Discussion in 'Support' started by SGA, Jun 22, 2017.

1. SGA

SGA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      24/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I got tinnitus in March and in April the ringing almost completely went away after ear wax removal. It was reduced to a very faint ringing in one ear which didn't bother me at all. I thought it was all over. Since then it has increased in volume and pitch almost on a weekly basis for no obvious reason. I also have loud crackling in my ears when I swallow and my right ear clicks when I talk. I don't know if this is connected to the tinnitus though.

I saw an ENT for the first time yesterday and she was dismissive of my concerns and told me tinnitus can't progress that quickly and should stop worrying but I know for a fact it's much louder now than it was back in April. Something has definitely caused it to worsen, what I don't know.

I have perfect hearing in both ears so it can't be hearing loss and I haven't been exposed to any loud noise or taking any medication.

Could obsessing over the level of the sound cause it to increase? I think I am spending way too much time thinking about it and reading about it online. I hate coming to this forum but I can't help it since there's so much information one here.

I really don't want this becoming severe tinnitus, I would not cope. I thought tinnitus was supposed to get better, not worse and certainly not this rapidly.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    2. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      If you can, try a different ENT. Crackling and popping can be a sign of eustachian tube dysfunction and it sometimes affects tinnitus. Also, do you think it could it be possible that new ear wax is building up and making it louder again?

You're right. Generally obsessing over T can make the perception of it seem louder, I speak from own experience. From time to time I have cycles where I completely freak out and think I can't live like this to not thinking about it at all. Try keeping yourself occupied and take your mind off it a little bit. Do things you enjoy or see people you enjoy being with. Stuff like this is what usually gets me out of the "freaking out" part. I don't think you should worry about your tinnitus becoming severe. It is very unlikely without a reason such as acoustic trauma.

I'll also add lack of sleep, anxiety and stress makes mine noticeably louder, but only temporary. If you struggle with sleep or anxiety from this that could also be a culprit.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      You are a lot stronger, than you think.....

4. Engineer
      Creative

Engineer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely acoustic hearing loss
      Obsessing over T can absolutely cause the perception of it to be louder. Conversely, ignoring it can cause the perception to be less, over time. Do your best to ignore it at all times; easier said than done, but the benefits accrue over time. Best wishes, Trebor

5. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      There was many things that an ENTs won't do with someone coming in with a onset of tinnitus. They will first obtain a medical history, look into your ears, and investigate potential causative factors. Many with an onset of tinnitus will recover. They may have you get a MRI, which is called a hospital profit money machine.

My neuro surgeon who was a Chief of Staff and friend said If an ENT daughter was complaining about ringing in the ears, more would be done. This neuro surgeon said that the first visit should last 1.5 hours and other 25 things should be examined on that first visit. Medicine - the amount of patients, hospital and insurance costs in the USA bites.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Bruno Rodrigues

Bruno Rodrigues Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi SGA I've been following your journey with tinnitus. I got mine from taking Lexapro for about 28 days. Today I reached one month and a week without Lexapro buy the rigging is still persisting it got quite well in the first 3 weeks I gave the drug it was really quiet and now is starting to increase again. I hope it goes away for me and for you as well.

7. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I'm so happy it went down for you after 3 weeks, that is a good sign. I hope that it has gone down more after the last increase. Can I ask what dosage of Lexapro you were on when you got it?