Money Down the Drain — A Hearing Check Van!

Discussion in 'Support' started by valeri, Jul 5, 2018.

1. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Couldn’t believe my eyes today! A van parked on the corner of two busy main roads doing hearing checks!

This is how valuable funds are wasted!

CFF5A5AF-07F0-48FE-A4E1-CC36EC01510C.jpeg

C588B20F-1375-49FA-94BE-B7ED8F912870.jpeg

2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Why is having a hearing test a waste of funds? It’s similar to having a vision screening. Would you call a free vision screening a waste of funds?

In the U.S. children annually have free hearing and vision tests. Loss can gradually happen that is not obvious yet it can impact social interactions and school work. This can happen at any age.

If anything, I think more adults should have their hearing tested. I know many people who admit they no longer hear well yet they do not want to take the time nor expense of seeing an audiologist for a hearing test.

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I would actually see that as good news: more awareness that hearing is important to take care of.

One can argue that funds could perhaps be used differently, and clearly each person would like more funds towards relieving them of their suffering, but in absolute it seems pretty positive to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      For starters testing vision doesn’t require silence!
      A van parked on the intersection of 2 busy main roads doing hearing checks is, in my option, a waste of money.
      Furthermore because I live in metropolitan area where almost every pharmacy (there are 2 in this particular location) offers free hearing test there is absolutely no need for something like this!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      If this was a promotional stand saying “protect your hearing” I would agree with you!
      Sadly it’s just a routine hearing test!

6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      But a routine hearing tests exposes hearing as an important thing to test, which promotes awareness, like offering stool-based tests would bring awareness to colorectal cancer. It's also an opportunity to talk to people about hearing and educate them (that's where the "protect your hearing" part comes) with real data to support the talk.

Just being exposed to this is a positive, in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      This is a wonderful thing to see. I hope all the little kids and their parents go to this van and check it out....rather than see the ice cream truck. We need more awareness like this. Heck, I'd post posters and messages about tinnitus and protection of the ears. We need more money put into such things. Kudos to whoever is running this business.

Whether this is self promotional or not, I am ok with building more awareness for hearing loss/tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 3
    8. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      My hearing was tested as a child in a van. Soundproof booth in the van; couldn’t hear any outside noises. Couldn’t even hear my giggling classmates in the waiting area next door.

I suspect this van travels and is not always near two pharmacies. Perhaps it travels to more rural areas. Maybe driving around raises awareness, too. I’m impressed that your pharmacies have sound proof booths with trained audiologists on hand.

9. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      @PetitGarsTimide imagine a frequency-tx cochlear hair cell regeneration van in the 2030's.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Static Sophie 73

Static Sophie 73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      I saw this at my local shops recently the Australian Hearing van. It is soundproof and a great idea ! I can't see any problems with this at all :dunno: there should be more around if you ask me.

• Agree Agree x 1