Music Composition for Masking Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gigi, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Gigi
      Alienated

Gigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      music
      Hey Gang,

So I guess I'm a composer with Tinnitus (lol). Anyway I am a graduate student now and all this Thesis talk got me thinking...... anyone know of any good music that masks their Tinnitus? I was thinking about composing music specifically to mask T..... would anyone find that useful? If so, what kind of music do you want? Any suggesting? I haven't started composing anything for this yet, I've just been thinking about it for the past couple days. I mean, there has got to be something I can do about this. Right?

• Genius Genius x 1
    2. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music/chemotherapy/hypercalcemia
      i know that taylor swift is able to mask my tinnitus, probably because the music is so shitty that my brain gets something else to focus on.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gigi
      Alienated

Gigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      music
      Bahahahaha! That is true haha. But no I was thinking along the line of creating like relaxing music that has the same frequencies as Ts so it masks them. Like making music to fall asleep to.

4. Mike K
      Tolerant

Mike K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection?
      My personal favorite is Shlohmo...ambient and thought-provoking. I listened to him while out shooting footage on my camera and it masked it pretty well.

5. TheGagagirl1234

TheGagagirl1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud music
      When I listen to this my tinnitus goes away for a couple of seconds. It's nice to have some relief once in a while :)
      Advanced Nerve and Cell Regeneration with...

6. suze

suze Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      As a composer you might be interested in a new tinnitus theory suggesting that instead of masking (which doesn't work for me, my tinnitus is very loud) the tinnitus range should be deleted from music you are listening to. It's the opposite of habituation theory. Check it out. Google Dan Polley and Tinnitus. BTW; tinnitus range, tone, and pitch differ widely from person to person...it's difficult to mask without individualizing it. I think if you wrote music with Dan Polley s ideas in mind it would be amazing. Best wishes.

7. squeek

squeek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise impact/maybe seaborn
      Probably just stick to kind of music you already like. Just run it through a graphic or parametric equalizer and notch it at your tinnitus frequency.

8. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5:10 PM 03/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scombroid food poisoning.
      Excellent thinking, it's one of the first things I thought of as well when it happened to me.
      I've been listening to music that activates the auditory center across all frequencies of my tinnitus in succession, avoiding the frequencies that hurt my ears as much as I can. They have the same effect as the acoustic neuromodulation therapy on top of properly masking your T.
      It would be great if we could come up with a program that could generate a soundscape based on those theoretical underpinnings.

Here are a few examples, tell me what you think.

MYRONE - 「Exclusive Coupé」

Joe Satriani - Dream song

Thomas Bergersen - Always Mine (Sun)

Two Steps From Hell - Gore's Theme

Yiruma - River flows in you