My Dream: DJ for a Day... for Charity

Discussion in 'Support' started by Pero1234, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      home theatre system + high pressure washer
      Hey everyone,

It’s been a while since I posted here. I’m doing ok these last few weeks. Still a bit too sensitive to sounds above 80dB and tensor tympani is slowly getting less sensitive. Depending on how well I sleep, T is a buzz or a tone in the head.

I have my custom ear plugs -15dB and we tested them.

I’ve been a good boy like and laid off all headphone use. @Michael Leigh would be proud :) Although I have to admit, it makes me very sad not being able to enjoy my life’s work of carefully curated music while commuting. That is still the hardest part for me... worse than not being able to go clubbing or concerts.

The dream

That said... I always loved music and deep down I wanted to DJ, but because of several obstacles never pursued a career in it.

These last 3 years there’s this dream I had, where I would organize this concept party... I’d invite everyone I knew... for one day... DJ my own music ranging from the thirties to now... and would incorporate a fundraiser / charity aspect and nature videos and my own photos... I’m also a photographer.

The point was to not only raise money but to use the music and video footage to actually make people aware of how they could help the earth, animals etc.

Before T hit me, I was in the course of changing my life and reshuffling my priorities... I even started a blog on that.

The party would have been a result of that. Making people change their habits, using music, friendship and awareness.

To be honest: sometimes I allowed myself to dream that this idea would take off and I would be able to have a real influence. Everything I started these past few years was a success... I even got to go an IT conference in Orlando, where we presented a speech on our accomplishments within the company in Belgium.

Even though I did not have the money now to buy the equipment, I always promised myself (and kept telling people around me I’d do it one day). That’s why I had been working so hard for these past few years. With success.

I was planning the party around 2020.

Today I still work on organizing my music collection for the party... completely ignoring the fact that I will never be able to DJ with T.

What if I would...

Now let’s say that this is so important for me that I still HAVE to do this... to see if I was right and it would make a difference... just one time in 2020, hopefully after my sound sensitivity and ttts has subsided.

What could I do to protect myself

- earplugs (which ones)
      - special headset
      - speaker setup
      - venue
      - timing

Or should I just let go of yet another dream?

Or should I build the concept and hire someone to play my dj set? That makes me sad too... never being able to see those happy faces...

Any advice?

2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I would not do this or risk it at all. Dj parties can be loud and the risk of making your tinnitus worst is not worth it. It just takes one mistake, that can possibly affect us for a lifetime.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      If you’re organising it then it means you are in control of all aspects of the sound. Get a large room for starters with acoustic properties that aren’t overly reflective, preferably with walls that will dampen sound. Next, you could look into using a sound limiter that will cut out the equipment if noise exceeds a set limit. Keep the audio equipment modest and don’t set up to go loud in the first place; make this known on the tickets that’s it a special fundraising event so sound will be limited. This would also make a lot more sense if you were to raise money for tinnitus with the lack of noise being an obvious part of the awareness. Make it an evening about fun over noise. Good musicians won’t care about it not being loud, because the essence of music is in the detail and not the volume. You could use strong, noise isolating (passive or active), headphones but keep them quiet. It may help to put foam earplugs, or custom filtered earplugs underneath depending on the setup.

All in all, tinnitus doesn’t have to be a dream killer if you act responsibly. YOU are organising it so take control. I’ve organised a few music events in my time, so I totally understand the logistics of everything involved.

Good luck to you.

• Winner Winner x 1
    4. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I'm half asleep so I read through your post very quickly but here are some suggestions:

Look into in-ear monitors with noise protection (there are many options - if you need specific suggestions let me know). These are custom molded to your ear like custom mold plugs but are monitors. Laidback Luke uses this to mix with tinnitus.

Or DJ with ear plugs - use something like the ACS plugs with -26db of attenuation. Might make it hard to EQ right without some proper practice. I know someone on the local scene who does this and has become relatively successful on the global drum and bass scene.

Cue the mix in your headphones so you don't need to double up the noise using the feedback monitors. This will also take practice.

Those are some suggestions I can think of. Plenty of DJ's and producers out there that deal with tinnitus and still manage to tour and DJ.

You can also look into using something like Ableton to perform live using MIDI controllers, or any combination of hardware to play out music live. This way you can avoid having to use headphones and monitors to mix.

Then you can use supplements like NAC to prevent hearing damage. Dose appropriately. You can also have some oral corticosteroids like Prednisolone on hand in case you accidently manage to damage your hearing.

Anyway, good luck!

• Like Like x 2
    5. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I was a DJ for many years. I've attended, and performed at parties over the past 2 years. My tinnitus has only improved in this time.

You're at 4 months. I'd not suggest it at 4 months. But lifelong? You dont have to give up.

Let me tell you a not so hidden secret - MOST DJs have tinnitus. Most have it from before they were smart enough to wear plugs. They seem to not turn into Frankie Wilde - and neither will you.

Richie Hawtin, Moby, Jody AND Nick from Way Out West. Really the list goes on.

If you still have H you may want to relax on it for a while - but don't give up. Just keep the booth below 85db and wear plugs. I promise, you'll be fine.

BUY CUSTOM MADE EARPLUGS AND WEAR THE HELL OUT OF THEM. My ears never bother me (more than usual) after concerts if I wear them.

6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am very impressed @Pero1234 and pleased that you have followed my advice. Trust me it is the right thing to do by not using headphones of any type not even at low volume. In time you will improve just be patient. The advice @fishbone has given you I agree with and advise you to follow it.

Take care
      Michael

• Like Like x 2
    7. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Or this, as in-ear monitors have pretty much taken over from satellite stage monitors nowadays (for live instrumental musicians).

The penultimate gig I ever did (with bad tinnitus) was an awesome experience. Paradoxically, it helped me quite significantly in terms of the awareness of my tinnitus. We rehearsed every week beforehand, (with my sound meter and using musicians plugs) and I can honestly say it helped get me out of the severe depression I was in. Whilst in my element, my mind was elsewhere, especially on the night in question as I had to host the whole thing and I’ve never done anything on that scale before. All I could focus on was getting the evening right; my tinnitus wasn’t on my mind at all.

Ultimately, you have to decide as it’s your life and nothing is risk free. All I can say is a one-off event, managed correctly, is significantly less risky than frequently going to gigs where you have no control over the noise.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      home theatre system + high pressure washer
      Thanks all for the valuable advice.

It means a lot to me that this dream is still an option. Having complete control over the environment is important. I will not rush anything and in the year to come I will look into these precautions.

In the meantime, I’m enjoying my music through speakers.

Thanks so much!

• Like Like x 3