My Ear Feels Like It Flaps/Contracts When I Hear a High-Pitched or Loudish Sound. Why?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Taylorslay, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      Recently I damaged my ears with noise. Now certain pitches irritate my ears. Same goes for certain level of sound. When dishes clank it bothers me and also when people raise their voice a little. With all this my ears sometimes feel like they flap/contract on the inside. Why does this happen?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Sounds like Tonic tensor tympani syndrome (TTTS).

That's hyperacusis.

3. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      Its hyperacusis...i had this...it has gotten much better but it takes time..i suggest listening to pink and white noise when possible...also get yourself a pair of custom fitted musician ear plugs so you can still go to places that may be a little bit noisey

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      A week after damaging my ears. I became hypersensitive to everything. For the whole week before I set myself in a mostly quiet or toned down setting than usual. Then I became hypersensitive to everything. Once I exposed myself to sounds under the discomfort threshold I had. A majority of the hypersensitivity went away. I don't exactly know why.