My Hyperacusis Wildly Fluctuates

Discussion in 'Support' started by Born To Slay, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hey everyone, the last few weeks my hyperacusis has wildly fluctuated. Some days it’s very easy to get by and other days it’s terrible.

Is this normal and is it a sign either for the good or bad? I’m feeling anxious as today has been really awful but this followed 4 fairly decent days.

2. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Is there anything that you suspect may be the catalyst to the fluctuations?
      Any noise exposures, dietary reactions?
      How long have you had hyperacusis for?
      Would you say that it is moving in a better direction overall... like a graph with ups and downs but overall is going slowly down?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      No, catalyst is 100% consistent. Some suspected ones do include:
      1. Sodium intake
      2. Noise, I thought at first that it was days I went to school it was worse but last week it was the opposite, I was fine during the school week and then yesterday sucked. So it's confusing on that front
      3. I thought post nasal drip may have some effect but that theory might just be my anxiety
      4. Speaking of anxiety, I get the idea that maybe my ears are trying like heck to get better and my severe anxiety is hurting their efforts. That said, I don't think there’s a consistent correlation there either

These could all be affecting it. I've decided to go on a low sodium diet and I’m about to be on a 5 week break from college, so we'll see how that effects things. Overall, sometimes it really feels like I'm on trending in the right direction and then it feels like today, where I'm slammed back. I've had it about 6 weeks now.

4. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Thank goodness you have a break from school. Try getting off of salt and sugar if you can and perhaps try taking magnesium. Anxieties mixed with real symptoms are a killer as you know, I have hyperacusis as well. It's a mind blowingly crappy time. Having said that, sounds like you are slowly moving in the right direction and the school break should really help.

When and if your hyperacusis goes into remission, please let us know. Good news indeed.

Take care BTL.

• Like Like x 1