Tinnitus and Hyperacusis Stole My Life — I Can No Longer Take It

Discussion in 'Support' started by stacey, Aug 25, 2015.

1. stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I hope everyone on here is doing well and still trying to overcome this battle with tinnitus.

I can no longer take it, I won't be on here anymore. Tinnitus and hyperacusis has literally cost me my life, I've lost everything, family, friends, relationship, I couldn't even get a job in fear of my tinnitus worsening from loud sounds.

The disability office denied my case twice... I have NO future my life is over and I'm only 25.

All I can say was that I tried, I tried to live with this and I failed, feeling more alone than I've ever felt in my life.

You don't just get tinnitus, you also get anxiety and depression. Who wouldn't be depressed when a horrible noise in your ears ruined your life, where can we go if loud sounds will give us a spike... what's the point if we are living in isolation and complete fear.

I hope that others on here can get through this. I just can't, I've tried for a full year and in the process lost everything.

I want my life back so bad but that's impossible, tinnitus stole my life. I wish everyone on here the best, try to continue living.

• Hug Hug x 30
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Stacey,

Lots of big hugs coming your way! I'm so sorry you're having such difficulties right now, especially with your family. Perhaps if they realized what a difficult time you're having, they would be more understanding. You need them very much right now. Your Tinnitus Talk family is here for you, no matter what.

I just wanted to comment on working with tinnitus. I'm 69 years old, and should be retired, but I started back to work (I'm working 30 to 35 hours per week), in an office position. I have both severe tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus, and it was driving me crazy being at home in the quiet. Starting back to work again was the best thing I ever did for my tinnitus. Being distracted all day, solving problems, and being around other people is very therapeutic for me. I have an under-desk heater/fan, and I turn it on whenever my tinnitus is bothering me. Working has given me a purpose again, and has shown me that I still have value and can still do something, in spite of the noises in my head! Perhaps you could search for work outside the big city; it might give you a new lease on life.

We care about you, and want you to know that tinnitus isn't the end of things. It can, in fact, be the catalyst for a new beginning!!

Best wishes and lots of hugs,
      Karen

• Like Like x 5
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Hi. That's a tremendous amount of "stuff" to having going on in the space of a year. I really feel for you, and I hope you will hang with us.

The things that struck me were that you mentioned depression and anxiety. If you haven't yet, I hope you will reach out to someone to get help with meds and/or talk therapy. Unfortunately, depression and anxiety are frequently part of the package, but they can be addressed.

The important thing right now is to do what you need to do to get to tomorrow (and then the day after that). It's great that folks have given you a phone number. Reach out to them or call a hotline (1 (800) 273-8255) if necessary. Whatever it takes to get to tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      @stacey My tinnitus began 3 months before yours. It has taken this long for me to begin to have some days where the noise really does begin to fade a bit. Sometimes it's a question of what supplement or meds will work for you as an individual.

If you're at the point of wanting to end it all, and believe me I've had a lot of dark times in the last year and four months, then please see a neurologist and try to get a Trobalt prescription. You might be one of the lucky ones who benefits. At the very least, take up Soul Station on his offer. A sympathetic listener and peaceful surroundings will do you good, both body and soul.

By the way, your family sounds very selfish since they won't try to accommodate you by doing something as simple as not yelling and screaming. :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. SallyM

SallyM Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It started a day after swimming underwater
      @stacey, this thread is from 5 years ago, are you still doing poorly? Did you ever get accepted for disability?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes I am still doing poorly. You can read my recent thread if you click on my page.

I got accepted for disability.

However my ear pain is still very bad.

• Hug Hug x 1