My Name Is Branko and I Now Have Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Brankovac, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Brankovac
      Scared

Brankovac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2014
      Hello everyone,

My name is Branko, I've had tinnitus for about a week now. It all stated about 3 weeks ago when i felt a soreness in my throat. I was taking some echinacea to fight it off and it started to subside after a few days until one day at work, my ear almost popped closed (if that makes sense). It was immediately plugged and a little sore so i went to the walk in clinic after work. The doctor explained to me that the cold i seemed to be fighting off made its way to my ear and had caused an infection. He prescribed me some anti-biotics and painkillers as well as some ear drops. I have had an ear infection about two years prior to this and was prescribed the exact same medicine and it healed fine so i thought nothing of it really.

The medication was:

azithromycin - 250 mg
      ciprofloxacin - small bottle
      ibuprofen - 600 mg

After taking the medication for two days everything seemed to be going as i thought it would be until friday morning August 1st. I woke up that morning with ringing in my left ear where i had the infection. It hasn't gone away since. I went back to the walk in clinic to see the same doctor, he told me i had Tinnitus and he set me up an appointment for an ENT. I just came back from the ENT today, we did a hearing test (no signs of hearing loss), then she used the laryngoscope and otoscope and was able to tell me that there was still some fluid behind the ear drum and thats what is probably causing the T, although she couldn't be totally sure because there are lots of things that cause T. She told me the T could last up to 3-4 months, maybe longer and prescribed me two Nasal sprays to help drain the fluid.

This medication was:

Apo-mometasone - small bottle
      Hydra sense Gentle mist - 135 ml

I am trying to remain optimistic about this whole situation but this is really hard for me. This T has already started to greatly affect my life. My sleeping, my relationship, my job and just enjoying life all together. I know the ENT said it would dissipate in around three to four months but i simply cannot have it be any longer then that. It is all i hear all the time and Im starting to feel like its controlling my life and its only been a week!

I work in the trades and am very cautious when using machinery. I always wear earplugs when necessary. Same goes for playing music as i am a musician and always wear hearing protection when practicing and playings shows. I take good care of my body and I'm not sure why this T is happening.. When I had that ear infection a few years ago, it all cleared up fairly quickly, using the exact same medicine and there was never any T.

I apologize for the rant and long entry but Im sure you can all understand where Im coning from, being new to this and all. But my main worry is that everything i seem to read about tinnitus seems to point in the direction that it is usually permanent. All the personal experiences I have read about people with the same situation as me just say that it has not gone away but they cope with it.

Im just very confused and anxious along with some other emotions and any advice right now would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      I too got T one month ago. I'm still trying to figure out if my T started due to being punched all over my head, and ears 2 months ago or was it due to using Ciprodex ear drops that my ENT prescribed.
      I got T on 8th day of using Ciprodex.

Hang in there like I'm. My biggest trouble is sleeping. I downloaded rain sound apps on my phone and play them all night. White noise app will help and will mask your T at night.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brankovac
      Scared

Brankovac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2014
      Hey ricky, thanks for reading. Yes i have tried some of the TRT sounds on youtube, I found the waterfall sounds to be helpful but then I suddenly start thinking about the whole situation.. that I have to listen to these sounds so i can fall asleep because of this sudden T that just came into my life. It gets pretty hard.

I just ordered some Melatonin with Lemon balm. Im hoping that may help me not get so anxious when trying to fall asleep. :(

4. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      Yea I know exactly what you mean. To make matters worse I have to take PTSD meds because the T keeps reminding me of the attack. I have not had a good night sleep in over 2 months. I eat healthy food and lots of fruits now. I've cut back on my intense workouts and do jogging and push ups only. No alcohol, no coffee, no bars/clubs until T goes away.

I try to sleep and lay down in my bed 10 hours every night so at least my body gets much needed rest, even though I know my brain is tried from being awake 24/7.

Lots of people recommend Melatonin before going to bed and it helps.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brankovac
      Scared

Brankovac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2014
      I was unaware that alcohol and caffein had any affect of the T. My doctor and the ENT never mentioned that. Is this something I should be avoiding?

6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Brankovac,

You could try experimenting with cutting out caffeine and alcohol, maybe one at a time, to see if it has any effect on your tinnitus. For some people, these substances can cause tinnitus spikes. Sugar can also cause spikes in some people.

They don't seem to have any effect at all on my tinnitus, but then we're all different!

I hope you have a quiet evening! Glad you joined us on Tinnitus Talk.

Best wishes,
      Karen

7. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Ask your ENT for a course of prednisone, it can greatly work in some cases, it's needed take it as soon as possible after the onset.
      Stay strong, it's really possible T will disappear when the infection will be totally cured

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brankovac
      Scared

Brankovac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2014
      Thanks Carlo, I will inquire about that when I go to my follow up in a month. Although my sister was on prednisone a few years ago and it seemed to make her pretty irritable. The side effects seem to be something of a concern for me as well. Although I'm open to anything right now that will help me get back to my old self again.