My Success Story (So Far) — Tinnitus, Hyperacusis, TTTS

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by COYS, May 9, 2019.

1. COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      Hi Everyone,

This isn't a success story about how my tinnitus has disappeared but I wanted to share it anyway. It's a success story of how I've improved since getting tinnitus, pain hyperacusis and ear spasms from an acoustic trauma that happened on the 16th of January, 2019.

When I first came down with tinnitus, hyperacusis and TTTS I was a complete wreck. I wasn't sleeping, thought my future was in tatters and couldn't see how I could live with this for the rest of my life.

For the first 6-8 weeks I had 3-4 hours sleep on a good night. I could hear my tinnitus over the TV, in the car and over conversation. I was walking round like a zombie, I couldn't concentrate on work and my relationships were suffering.

I had almost constant ear fullness, itching/burning in my ears, not necessarily from noise but gradually throughout the day. My ears fluttered when I was on the phone (even when listening on speaker phone) and my ears ached after.

I ended up scared of sounds and found myself checking dB levels of every day things (vacuum cleaners, hand dryers , traffic etc).

Fast forward to where I am now.

I haven't had any noticeable ear pain for 4 weeks which I am over the moon with. This was the most difficult symptom I had to deal with.

My tinnitus has faded since onset to the point I don't hear it at work anymore , over the TV or conversation. I still hear it when I go to bed but it starts the day lower than when I go to bed. It's still reactive but not to a noticeable level.

I still have my ear spasms to sudden noises (cutlery, someone coughing) but it's much worse in the morning and gets better throughout the day (maybe because my ears get desensitized to the noise). I'm hoping this will stop eventually.

When I first came down with these symptoms I put my life on hold, I stopped living because I had so much anxiety that I just didn't want to interact for engage with life.

The last few weeks I've done the following.
      • Been to two weddings - Using ear plugs for the evening party.
      • Started renovating my house, ripping out an old bathroom etc - Using ear defenders with an NRR 28 dB rating.
      • Been to conferences with work, one of which was in London having to go on the tube.
      • Been to a football match with ear plugs in.

I know I'm very lucky to have mild symptoms but I'm mainly writing this post for people new to tinnitus and hyperacusis. It can get better, it takes time and patience and its the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with.

Thanks.

COYS

• Like x 9
      • Winner x 2
      • Agree x 1
      • Hug x 1
      • Informative x 1
    2. Clint Azzopardi
      Woot

Clint Azzopardi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, Gentamicin or allaergy or both !
      You reminded me of my early days with tinnitus. I couldn't think that i would survive, I am also lucky to have mild symptoms so I guess it is not that easy for everyone.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      How long have you had T if you don’t mind me asking?

Did you have ear pain etc too?

4. Clint Azzopardi
      Woot

Clint Azzopardi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, Gentamicin or allaergy or both !
      My tinnitus started last October, I had hyperacusis as well but that has mostly calmed down, I don't have much pain but my ears flutter to the sound of cutlery (for example) and I have transient tinnitus, a louder tinnitus that lasts for a couple of seconds at a time.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      Ahh I feel your pain on the cutlery ! Like a single thump/spasm. So anoyying!

I’ve heard it can go away so just got to hope I guess !

6. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      Very happy for you. Did they get better on their own or you did you do something to improve them? Or did time heal them? Thanks.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      I’ll be honest no I haven’t done anything other than stay clear of really loud noise and protect my ears when I feel I need to.

They aren’t perfect don’t get me wrong but I am living life more than I was

• Like Like x 2
    8. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      We're making the same progress it seems like. I hope your progress continues!

• Like Like x 2
    9. Steven P

Steven P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damaged inner ear accoustic trauma(tinnitus, hyperacusia,hyd
      Hey
      Hey , I was reading your story and felt i needed to ask you a question. First of all, i am glad you are doing better and i can relate to you because i also have the same symptoms due to an acoustic trauma 4 weeks ago. This thing is something that is def not easy to deal with but there has to be lots of patience and will to beat it. You mention you were able to go to London , im assuming you flew there, did you have any problems? I had to cancel my flight because i got scared maybe with pressure things could go worse.

Steven

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      Hey mate.

What acoustic trauma did you suffer? Do you have ear spasms etc?

I live near London so it was a train and then the underground. I’ve flown to Boston since onset though and didn’t have any bad side effects. That was when my ear pain had improved too

11. Riz23

Riz23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and headphones
      Hi All, so thankful to have come across this website and forum, I have only developed tinnitus a couple of days ago, trying to come to terms with it and help myself as much and soon as possible, because I am already in a dark place.

I did want to ask, I live in London and commute daily to and from work using the tube, would you suggest me getting ear plugs?

• Creative Creative x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      Hello

You’re very early into having tinnitus so there’s a chance yours could go away :) personally I would. I think the tube can get up to 100 dB in places. I didn’t use them the other day but I’m not on it on a daily basis.

• Creative Creative x 1
    13. Riz23

Riz23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and headphones
      @COYS As hopeful as I wish I could be, it is really possible for it to go away?

Do you have any suggestions as to how I should approach this? Or my first steps that possibly could lead me to being tinnitus free?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      Not sure it’s posaible for it to go away. I’m using the logic that it won’t so I’m not disappointed if it doesn’t. Mine does seem to be fading though.

Ear pain and fullness is back a bit this week for no real reason. Hoping it’s just part of the recovery process

15. MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2014: Mild Hyperacusis 2019: More severe
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud headphones, more recently Acoustic Shock
      How has your ear pain and fullness been overall? It looks like you said it got better after around 3 months or so? And the pain that's returned this week, is it as bad as before or milder?

I suffered from an acoustic incident in March, I'm right around the two month mark and haven't seen much improvement yet unfortunately.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      My pain is utterly random. It's not shooting pain it's more like an itching feeling like you get anywhere on your body but I can't scratch it. My pain took 3 months to start to improve then disappeared. Now it's back slightly but I'm hoping as it's gone once it can go again.

I do wonder if my ear spams are causing this feeling as things that don't feel loud sometimes cause my ears to spasm.

17. AVIYT
      Wishful

AVIYT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregabalin
      I used to fly all over the world, and I was required to book a flight to the US from Poland and fly back. Whereas before I'd just order champagne or wine, or chilled Bailey's mmmm.... now I recommend just 1 .25mg Xanax XR for long flights and IR for regular flights (4-5 hours or less). It helped me a lot, also really good ear plugs. I listened to music and watched movies as always.

I think it's more important than ever before to get comfortable. If possible, premium econ or business / first class is great to help with that. But wearing nice fitting clothes and bringing your own pajamas is great (silk if it's summer, cotton if it's winter and they're blasting ac). A nice thick pair of socks and a change of toothpaste and toilette utensils.

I advise against taking any forms of pills long term, but Xanax ONCE with at least a few days in between flights is a good option. Or a longer lasting benzo would work too. If you hate the idea of benzos, CBD oil works great.

I flew and all went well. I will fly again soon, this time either to the UK or the Netherlands for a short flight. I'm pretty excited. I wouldn't hold off for too long with flying.

• Like Like x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      Small update if anyone is interested!

I'm now 7 months into my T and ear pain journey and I'm happy to report that my situation continues to improve. My emotional response to the T has subsided greatly so if anyone is in the early stages don't give up hope! I'm now sleeping for a good 7/8 hours most nights , from 3/4 when it started (I still have the odd bad night but I think most people without T have these).

My ear pain/tingling/burning sensation have all but disappeared. I get the odd occasion that it comes back but by the next day its gone.

The ear spasm/thump to noise is still around but I dont let it bother me too much. Hopefully this goes away in time.

COYS

• Like Like x 5
    19. MarkX

MarkX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Nice. Congrats. Mine is still pretty bad but I am trying. How about the loudness of the ringing? Is it still low? What would you rate it on a scale of 1 out of 10?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      @MarkX I think its around a 2 or 3 out of 10 most of the time.

I dont notice it when im at work or out and about. I find cycling completely takes my mind off it

• Like Like x 1
    21. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      any update on the H?

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      Hyperacusis has improved significantly. Can't remember the last time my ears hurt or felt full.

Only outstanding symptom is my ear spasm/click when hearing certain noises. It no longer hurts but the sensation is still there...

• Like Like x 1
    23. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Did you have any balance issues? I’m basically going through the same thing after an earwax cleaning but I was told it can subside in the next few weeks due to acoustic shock :/

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      I didn’t have any balance issues from memory. Just a full feeling with burning pain in my ears.

I believe it can get better but it’s slow. When I first had the issues I was certain it was for life but it wasn’t.

• Like Like x 1
    25. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      You think my balance issues can subside too :(

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      Can’t say for definite as I didn’t have that. I do believe that hyperacusis can subside though

27. MarkX

MarkX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @COYS Have you had any more lowering of your tinnitus? What would you say it is on a scale of 1 to 10?

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      I’d say mine is a 2/3. I don’t hear it at work etc. I used to but it’s calmed a bit.

29. Mymlan

Mymlan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Mila9828 I think balance issues can subside.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. Phat Tuna

Phat Tuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hygienist
      When you say it was/is reactive, what do you mean by that?