My Tinnitus History

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Howard Kent, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Howard Kent

Howard Kent Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea
      I have had Tinnitus since around 1993, I have had numerous acupuncture treatments and alternative medicine but to no avail. I reckon I have lost about 60-70% hearing in my affected right hear.
      My tinnitus has got much worse over the past 6 months due to prescribed medication for Blood Pressure and treatment of Raynaud's and I am concerned it may have spread to me left ear but I cannot be sure. The ringing is now constant with little or no let up.

I am now off all meds but so far there has been no reversal of the problem. I have recently been getting alternative medicine treatment incl acupuncture but sadly nothing appears to be working. I keep myself very fit icl walking, swimming and regular gym work outs. I have recently started breathing exercises and meditation with the hope it may help.

I am now absolutely convinced that the ototoxic effect of the drugs has accentuated the problem - would love to hear any thoughts or suggestions on what to do next.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. BobK544

BobK544 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      suspect sulfur medication
      Hi Kent, its hard for us to know anymore what causes what as there seems to a fairly big delay in cause and effect sometimes, but i recently read that salicylates can accumulate over time, so one thing you might want to try is to avoid them wherever you can as they might be a trigger when there are confluence of factors. And in my case i think i've been able to reduce my db about 10 to 15% by avoiding salicylates and that is almost enough of a drop to make me feel somewhat normal again.

We regularly consume salicylates and our body has to detoxify and clear away these chemicals before they accumulate. The Enzyme responsible for the detoxification belongs to the Phenol Sulfur-Transferase group and this as such is responsible for the break down and detoxification of Salicylates and Phenolic compounds from foods. We have a threshold for symptoms of salicylate accumulation and depending on how prevalent and active the PST Enzyme is in the body depends on your threshold to the symptoms of overload. Once our salicylate load gets to around that level we start getting allergic style inflammatory reactions.

PST is a major contributor to the detoxification of these Phenols and Salycilates via phase 2 of the liver detoxification pathways here are some signs and symptoms of salicylate sensitivity:

• Headaches, migraines
      • Itchy skin rashes such as hives (urticaria), eczema. Itchiness is often worse after hot shower and / or exercise
      • Irritable bowel symptoms – reflux in babies or adults, nausea, vomiting, stomach bloating and discomfort, wind, diarrhoea and/or constipation
      • Bedwetting, cystitis and increased frequency of urination
      • Asthma, sinus congestion, itching, sneezing and excessive phlegm
      • Behaviour problems such as irritability, restlessness, inattention and learning difficulties
      • Sleep disturbance and sleep apnoea
      • Anxiety, depression, panic attacks
      • Tinnitus
      • Joint pain, inflammation and arthritis
      • Swelling and fluid retention
      • Mouth Ulcers or raw hot red rash around mouth
      • Persistent cough
      • Sore, itchy, puffy, watery or burning eyes
      • Muscle cramp, tremor, twitch