My Tinnitus Solution

Discussion in 'Support' started by MelodicTinnitus, Apr 8, 2016.

1. MelodicTinnitus

MelodicTinnitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've discovered a way to very effectively decrease my tinnitus, sometimes so much that it almost gets turned off, and to cope with the remaining tinnitus at low volume.

Only since the night between last monday and tuesday, I had another night laying in bed with my tinnitus, not being able to sleep. At that moment, the usual arabic melodies-radiator hiss was playing along with the ringing sound.

But at some time that night, I realized that the tone scale of the arabic melodies of the radiator hiss is also used in a lot of (electro) house music, usually in the drops. So I started to imitate those house melodies, which I like to hear, or at least I have nothing against them, at the same pitch as the arabic radiator melodies in my head.

Astonishingly, when I focused intensively on the radiator hiss sound and kept playing the house drops in my head, I managed to lower the volume of it, until it eventually became almost unhearable. I also used a similar method to modulate the ringing sound by simply playing more monotonous electro house drops in my head at the same pitch of the ringing, which was, not as much as for the radiator hiss, but also very effective though.

Not only has this method enabled me to turn the volume of the tinnitus down, it also caused me to unlearn feeling the negative emotions when hearing the tinnitus. This probably has to do with a sort of Pavlov effect, since I'm totally okay with house music and made myself associating the tinnitus with house music.

In the following nights, I even managed to turn down the tinnitus just by thinking of it getting turned down. This is an example of how amazed I am with how powerful the brain is and all the awesome things it's capable of doing to itself.

Do's & don'ts:
      * Keep calm and don't try to hard
      * While playing in your head/imitating the tones of your tinnitus, do it in a very calm way and never start doing it too loud/hurried
      * Ensure that your sleep hygiene is okay (not thirsty, went to the toilet, laying in a dark not to warm room)
      * Make sure you lay in a comfortable position and try to relax. Breathe deep and slowly but not forced.
      * Try to focus on only one sound. Only imitate/play over in your head a song with the same tones at that one tinnitus layer you focus on. The other sounds will mostly disappear to the background and wil become more hearable again only when the
      focused sound has become near to unhearable
      * While treating a tinnitus layer, don't see it as a threat. Despite that you are making the tinnitus go away, try to become in peace with the sound you focus on and your tinnitus in general.

2. Sandy B
      Inspired

Sandy B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/96
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing test set off
      So happy for you that you are getting relief from tinnitus. Yes I agree our mind can be amazing and I will try your method. This site has really helped me to know we can help each other with tips,etc. I just read about 50 % of tinnitus is TMJ based. I grind my teeth at night so the exercises on YouTube for TMJ are helping me to turn the volume down. We have more hope for relief when we encourage each other.

3. Mithrandir
      Ape-like

Mithrandir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock Disorder (TTTS)
      @Sandy B can you give us the link on YouTube plz for TMJ helping ?

Thanks.

4. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      @MelodicTinnitus I think I know what you mean. i have tried it myself. I tried to imitate my tinnitus in my head. Do you think it is necesary to find a song?
      But its just temporary isnt it?

5. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      come on Mate! you are posting "my Tinnitus Solution". and then you are disappearing ??
      lol Im impacient!

• Like Like x 1
    6. adagio
      Asleep

adagio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aucustic trauma/stress
      I also have interesting experiences with something like this.
      I like to plug my ears and "work with" my tinnitus.
      I just relax in my bed, plug my ears, close my eyes, listen to all sounds, and move move my attention to a tinnitus sound.
      I try to have attention on the location of the sound, I think this should help the brain connect to the tinnitus. Sometimes I have used my eyes to move attention to this location.
      The sound quiets down.
      Sometimes I might not have persistance, and I just let go and try again some other time.
      It gets easier after I presume the brain learns to quiet it.
      Normally I just plug my ears and the sounds I have trained on quiets down.
      Some sounds are harder, the more fuzzy sounds. Tonal ringing sounds are nice.
      I try to reinforce the quieting of the sound by relaxing my body and feeling the body for good relaxed feelings.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1