My Tinnitus Temporarily Reduced by 80% a Few Days Into a Bad Cold — I Wonder Why?

Discussion in 'Support' started by carlover, May 12, 2022.

1. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi all. I have not posted for a good while so here is the thing.

Normally I know when I have a cold coming on as my tinnitus starts to get high a day or so before. Guess it's Eustachian tube clogging up.

Anyway, I got hit with a bad cold a couple of weeks ago, the sore throat was like razor blades. I tested negative for COVID-19.

I basically spent a week in bed. Around the third night as I lay there my tinnitus had eased right off by maybe 80%. I've had tinnitus since 1986.

It was wonderful. It was lovely. It was heaven. It was so good I lay there and welled up. I had 2 nights of this, then it was back to normal. Normal being very loud. I had habituated but in 2011 an ear infection ramped it to a point where I can never habituate to it again. It is very strange, not congruent to how it usually ramps up during a cold.

I wonder what happened?

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @carlover,

Did you get a PCR or LFT? It kinda sounds like COVID-19 tbh, lots of people report a particularly bad sore throat, and improved tinnitus for a few days. I think the tests are getting less reliable as the virus mutates.

Glad you at least got a break. Sorry to hear about your inability to habituate. Do hearing aids help decrease your tinnitus?