My Tinnitus Yearbook

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Fungus, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      I have just signed up to the forum and note that it approximately the first anniversary of developing tinnitus...bilateral, jet engine/fire hydrant, high pitched and loud.
      I developed a very mild virus infection a year ago with a 'stuffy' nose, blocked left tear duct and slight right facial discomfort.Trivial, very trivial, but I noticed a congested feeling and mild tinnitus in my left ear after a week or so....intermittent and one sided initially. Over the course of a month or two the tinnitus and full feeling appeared in my right ear with the tinnitus becoming continuous and louder. GP thought I had sinusitis as I had post-nasal drip and gave me antibiotics (the first of many courses).
      First ENT identified a mild hearing loss at high frequencies, but chose to ignore the symptoms which had since developed of ear fullness/pain, difficulty or impossibility to 'pop' my ears on Valsalva and occasional ear pain. Trivialised the whole episode and discharged me.Developed increasing depression (suicidal), panic attacks and worsening ear symptoms.
      Second ENT doctor (Private consultation) thought I had chronic sinusitis with Eustachian tube dysfunction causing the pressure symptoms. More antibiotics (unsuccessful) followed by grommet insertion....then severe depression (no prior history whatever of mental illness) and 'flu, worsening ETD and blocking grommets.
      To cut a long, and, for me, painful, story short.....Eustachian tubes completely non-functional, T-tubes inserted (relieved pressure problems), 24/7 loud tinnitus both ears and pulsatile tinnitus intermittently.
      Currently have sound-generating hearing aids,am on anti-depressants, and largely cope well....but with a very changed perspective on life.

Fungus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Welcome to TT. I am sorry that it has to be under these conditions. At least you are in a place where we understand and share your struggles. It took me at least a year but more like about 18 months before things really started to improve for me. Having T improve is slow time (like prison I would assume) but it does usually get better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      Thank you,Erik.

I'm glad to be where I am now compared to how things were only 6 months ago.The whole thing came as such a shock. I guess I'd assumed that tinnitus would be an annoyance at worst....but it really took over (and almost took!) my life in the early months.

Still they say that "That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger".

Discussing with folk who really know what it's like is very useful.....the 90% (I think!) who don't have tinnitus right now can't really understand.

Fungus.