Neck Pain and Tinnitus Worse

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Keef, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Keef

Keef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly hammer drill)
      6 months ago had a blackout and banged head resulting in a whiplash injury to neck. Since then my T has been a lot worse. I also have arthritis in my neck which has also been made worse since the bang. Dr has confirmed the neck nerves will have been affected by the trauma and these nerves will also be linked to tinnitus. Due to the increased and very intrusive TV, depression is becoming very hard to keep at bay.

Dr prescribed Amitriptyline but after a few weeks got bad side affects of nightmares and tinnitus worse still. Dr has now prescribed Mirtzapine but worried about side affects you read about so have not taken it. Trying to get a good night's sleep but difficult getting back to sleep after the obligatory toilet trip in the night because of the tinnitus which sounds worse at night.

Has anyone else experienced neck pain and effect on Tinnitus?

Thinking of 5 htp for a sleep boost but again reading mixed feedback on pros and cons relating to affect on T so not sure. Still hovering over this.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I know how you feel,
      I blacked out Sunday night in the bathroom and woke up stairing at the selling.
      Neck problems can cause tinnitus and arthritis in the neck.
      A neck support pillow can help and also a neck coller in the day for only two hours max at a time so your neck won't go stiff.
      Amitriptyline and Nortryptaline are both AD meds that can reduce tinnitus.
      Nortriptyline is more tolerated with mininal side effects by most people.
      I an on Nortryptaline and easily went from 20mg to 50mg and only felt sleepy a bit for two days each increase like missing a few hours sleep even though I slept all night.
      It has stopped my head tinnitus and drone tinnitus and took the edge off my high pitch tinnitus.
      I have been on amitriptyline 12 years due to Ostio and rheumatoid arthritis and side effects starting and coming off them took some doing.
      I'm so glad I went on Nortryptaline and sleeping well on 50mg and my doctor is a great support and amazing but sadly has just left our practice and will miss him so much.

I know a lot of psychologists recommend Mirtzapin and can cause weight gain and kind to your ears than other AD meds....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keef

Keef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly hammer drill)
      Thanks for your reply (that was my first post). I will try the neck support. With regard to nortryptaline, this reads very similar to amitriptyline for side effects so I would be uncertain if it was right for me.
      Hopefully your new doctor will provide a similar level of support for you