Need Positive Reinforcement

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dmitriy, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Dmitriy
      Relaxed

Dmitriy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot Exposure
      I have tinnitus for about a week in my right ear after exposure to gunshot. Medium pitched, consistent tone, mostly heard when I am in quite or muffled room. Also, hear quick ringing when changing pressure such as yawn or burp. Went to Doctor today - no visible damage, no ear pressure issues, no loss of hearing. They are not sure what is causing tinnitus. Told me to wait for a few weeks.

Anyone had similar experience where tinnitus does go away after a while? Was it sudden or little by little? Need some positive reinforcement

2. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Sorry to say this but you need to find a new doctor/ENT. Your tinnitus is without a doubt from the gunshot yet they don't know the cause of T? Have you done an audiogram? How far did on the scale they test?
      Your pressure might have something to do with your ET or drums. Not sure how close the gunshot was but it could have caused some pressure in your eyed or damaged something that is causing the pressure change. Again, find a second doctor and get new opinion on your ears.

Sadly, since it's been a week the chances lessen that it will go away but it can improve a bit or at least feel less intrusive. I was told to wait a few weeks to see if went away but I knew by day 5 or so that it was permanent :( gut feeling. Dont lose hope, good things can stilm happen but also be prepared in case it is permanent too!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dmitriy
      Relaxed

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot Exposure
      Thanks for reply. They did audiogram, everything was above 25db, and both ears were same. I heard that acoustic trauma can take weeks or even month to heal. Its very hard to find people who are actually cured because they stop visiting support forums. Typically, ots folks who still have it and look for help.

4. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      If you have not already, look at the success stories. There are many of people who are either been cured, had their symptoms dissipate, or have learned to habituate. Each resolution resulted in the suffer being able to regain a "normal" life and not be troubled by their tinnitus.

As for the doctors not knowing what caused your tinnitus, I have to agree with @Fangen, it seems fairly obvious based on your original post. That being said, in many other cases, the cause of tinnitus for many people is totally unknown. Your doctors may be being cautious.

Again, agreeing the @Fangen, I would recommend obtaining a second opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dmitriy
      Relaxed

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot Exposure
      So the doctor knows that gunshot caused the tinnitus. What he doesn't see are any actual physical changes that are causing tinnitus in the ear. There are no drum issues and hearing test shows no hearing loss, or at least nothing below 25db

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dmitriy
      Relaxed

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot Exposure
      Thanks to all who replied. My right ear was feeling clogged a bit and T at night (when its really quite), but today it's my left ear that is feeling clogged. This is first time since the incident. I keep thinking that it's something with middle ear but have no idea what.

8. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I wouldn't be surprised, if the gun shot caused it. Just give it some time and see how things go. The sound could fade or still remain, time will tell. Protecting your ears from now if the key and try to reduce your stress....

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dmitriy
      Relaxed

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot Exposure
      Yesterday, was the first day that my right ear does not feel clogged anymore. But for the past 2 nights I've had a lot of noise in both ears. My bedroom is very quite and that's when it happens. Surprisingly, it only happens when I fall asleep or in the middle of the night, not in the mornings. I've been using Beltone app with apple headphones and noise seems to go away after a while.