New Damage, New Tinnitus??

Discussion in 'Support' started by Newbie, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Newbie
      Alienated

Newbie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think my 'new' tinnitus may be new damage. It's going from wavering electric static, to ring, to hiss all the time. Should this settle into a ring just like it did when i first got tinnitus??

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Newbie
      It all depends on what is causing the tinnitus. Have been seen at ENT? The most common cause of tinnitus is exposure to loud noise. Below are some of the reasons for tinnitus increase.

1 Listening to music through headphones even at low volume can increase tinnitus for some people. My advice, is to not to listen to music through headphones even at low volume.
      2. Attending: clubs, concerts or the cinema and not wearing ear protection. Even with ear protection one still has to be careful of being around loud sounds.

If there is no underlining medical cause for the increase in your tinnitus, the usual reason is exposure to loud sounds as indicated above. Click on the link below for more information.
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/an-introduction-to-tinnitus.12100/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alienated

Newbie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Michael Leigh ya i'd say it was exposure to loud sounds. Cinema and Clubs maybe??

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alienated

Newbie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Also, when people get spikes, is that when your ear bursts into a ringing for a couple of seconds, is this a spike??? i just developed a new wavering electric sound that i can hear over everything? maybe it was always there it just took a stressful period to make me notice it and then going int extreme anxiety and obsession over it is making in linger??

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Newbie Spikes in tinntus is different for everyone. Usually, a spike is an increase in tinnitus for a few hours to a couple of days then it returns to baseline (normal level).
      If you are not careful of being around loud sounds even when wearing ear protection, your tinnitus will increase to a new level and stay there. Sorry to sound so sobering but unless you are more careful this is likely to happen.
      I wish you well
      Michael
      PS: I strongely advise you not to listen to any type of audio through headphones even at low level.

6. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Newbie this brings me back to my first experience with the hissing sound which sounded and felt like air being forced out of a teeny hole or something in my ear drum. It felt like bees inside my brain. This would be the first "feeling" thing that can come with tinnitus for some people.

Along with this as others explained was this electrical "feeling" and the sound was always screeching metal.

Once I had this noise that actually was so metal loud inside the brain it knocked me out of bed in the middle of the night.

All these things for some unknown reason eventually subsided with time. It has now been since 2002 and I am doing pretty good. The first initial sound is still with me. The metal screeching sound.

Back then when I would ask about this I felt the answers were so....demeaning. All I needed to hear was yeah I understand and it happened to me. This is a process of different experiences for each person.

And then there would be the reply oh I have that I have no problem dealing with it....in person or on a message support board back then. And that made me feel even more less self esteem. I thought I must be a weak person.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alienated

Newbie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Starthrower thank you so much for your reply! yeah I know when my tinnitus first started I had my normal ring in the right ear and the hissing/electric sounds. over time these all subsided which only left me with the ring. My tinnitus was so mild I kind of forgot about it and eventually started to go out without earplugs.(I can't avoid going out, I'm only 20!) I think I may have some new damage and hopefully these noises will subside again. It's been nearly 2 months with them. The wavering electric sound is the one that drives me insane. My anxiety/panic/depression about it isn't helping obviously. I didn't care about my tinnitus before this spiked, now I really feel like a tinnitus sufferer!!

8. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Hi Newbie,

Yeah you are too young to not go out and enjoy life because of tinnitus! Do you spend a lot of time on your Iphone or other type of cell phone? I see the younger generations like yourself are so accustomed to using these devices almost constantly. If or when possible try using the speaker instead of holding the phone on your ear?

Just know your recent spike will most definitely subside! And it is pretty normal that when we start having less brain noise not to use ear plugs and such. Even I did this recently and I know better!!! I had a few bad days over last weekend but now things are back to baseline.

You are going to be okay. Some of our experiences are rather scary....just focus on the positive points you may come across.

9. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      My T evolved from tones to this electrical buzzing feeling, maybe its just changing ?

10. Stakovic

Stakovic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Same here
      Tone for 2 years and hissing for 16 years .hissing bothers me a lot

11. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      For a period there I went to the pool a lot , at that time the tones started to disappear, only to be replaced by the hiss, buzz, electrical sensation which in my opinion is worse. Bummer. :p

12. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Oh that hissing!! Yes this part is rather weird. Not sure why mine stopped though. I had it in the first few years off and on. Even worse is the water in the ear feeling and everything sounds like you are under water! That one still happens off and on for me.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alienated

Newbie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ok guys thanks for the advice but to be honest those of you who posted saying it's been like that for 16 years and so on and it's a bummer is only making me feel worse! I'm really down tonight. Maybe this site isn't helping at all ! @Starthrower thanks again I hope it goes down!

14. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Hi Newbie,

Oh I understand coming to a support board and feeling rather unsettled. But try to focus on the positive information or suggestions. You will find very useful ideas.

At your age I am sure dealing with health issues isn't something you are used to. At twenty years old life is just beginning for you. This is just a small blip in the scheme of life Newbie. And you will learn important lessons that usually don't make sense until you are older. You will look back and think....oh now I get it.

So many your age are going to face the same situation if they do not take care of their hearing health. And most think no big deal it won't happen to me. That is normal. And it is hard to explain taking precautions when it comes to loud music and such. Until....one day there is this sound in your brain.

But you have a great outlook and ability to see and take actions necessary regarding future tinnitus issues so it will not become worse for you.

Hope you check in once in a while just to see how you are coping. Or if you have any other questions.

Take care of you.