New Here — No Clue What Went Wrong

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mr Worried, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Mr Worried
      Dreaming

Mr Worried Member

Tinnitus Since:
      august 2017-july 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ripped the tag off a mattress
      Hello everyone

Unfortunately tinnitus arrived for me around 3 weeks ago in my left ear, along with a few other issues. I have absolutely no idea why this is all happening to me, because all I've done for the past two months is sit around at home while my broken ankle heals.

It started around lunch time on the 19th, and I remember hearing my left ear start ringing shortly after I opened my blocked eustachian tubes by holding my nose and blowing softly. It didn't hurt when I did it, so I don't think I've done any physical damage. They've been blocking pretty regularly ever since, and it's brought some strange issues with it.

First, I now have some very noticeable tinnitus in my left ear only (its strength fluctuates during the day). Secondly, I seem to be far more sensitive to sound now, and if do something like tap a knife on a hard counter, I'll feel a physical throb inside my left ear. This issue also comes and goes, but it's quite concerning.

If anyone has any kind of idea what the causes might be, it would be a huge help. The closest doctor is hours away, and I'll be seeing them next week.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It could have been caused by an ototoxic medication you took. Check out
      http://hlaa-sbc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Ototoxic_Brochure.pdf

I read about people causing T by performing Valsalva maneuver.

It is also possible that you got sudden deafness that caused T:
      http://www.masseyeandear.org/for-pa...ation/diseases-and-conditions/sudden-deafness
      This condition is called hyperacusis. It ought to eventually go away.

There is also a good chance that your tinnitus might eventually go away, or at least fade. Having said this, will likely take months, or even years.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-over-70-recover-3-studies.21441/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mr Worried
      Dreaming

Mr Worried Member

Tinnitus Since:
      august 2017-july 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for the info!

I forgot to mention in my original post that my hearing is completely normal apart from the mentioned issues, so I don't think I would have any kind of deafness

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is good to know that it is unlikely that your T was caused by sudden deafness. However, keep in mind that most people who have T, are told that they have perfect hearing. Some authors say that current hearing tests are not sensitive enough to catch certain types of hearing loss (for example, the type where the patient has trouble hearing quiet sounds when the person is located within a loud background environment).

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mr Worried
      Dreaming

Mr Worried Member

Tinnitus Since:
      august 2017-july 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You mean "hidden hearing loss"?

I think I've had that since my late teens. My hearing is pretty normal, but once I enter into a noisy environment, I find it pretty hard to understand what people are saying to me. I couldn't find any information on possible treatments when I researched it back in 2011-ish, so I just learned to live with it

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It might be the case that your hidden hearing loss got worse, and that had triggered your T...

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mr Worried
      Dreaming

Mr Worried Member

Tinnitus Since:
      august 2017-july 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just got back from the doc. I have eustachian tube dysfunction with fluid in the ear, but no sign of infection. I've been prescribed some nasonex to help out with the swelling.

I'm glad it's not an infection, and I'm hoping that this means that the tinnitus might vanish once the eustachian tubes stop swelling. I don't think I would be able to handle living with permanent tinnitus along with my already horrific eye floater situation

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/ 2016 (T free since mid March 2017) 
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      Your tinnitus will most probably fade or vanish like mine did in March this year after living with the condition for about 6 months. Mine was due to ETD. I used Nasonax for five months daily. Hold on Mr Worried, it will take time, at least 6 months mark or even longer. The recovery won't happen overnight for sure.

• Like Like x 2
    9. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      What does having fluid in your ears from that feel like? I think I have some ETD because my ears always crack and I could reduce some tinnitus by getting rid of it.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mr Worried
      Dreaming

Mr Worried Member

Tinnitus Since:
      august 2017-july 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's extremely reassuring!

Did you notice any side effects from using nasonex for that long?

The fluid doesn't seem to hurt at all, it just makes something inside my ear feel strange and out of place. It felt harder understanding people today, so I suspect that it might be dampening my hearing a bit as well.

My tinnitus is always stronger before I unblock the tubes, so we definitely have that part in common.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      When I swallow, my ears always crack too. I am not sure whether this was the case before I got T. It is my understanding that many people with T also have this ear cracking...

• Like Like x 2
    12. Sonic17
      Wishful

Sonic17 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      Hello, I have been following this thread. I am just wondering what tests the Dr. used to get this diagnosis. What it an ENT Dr.?

13. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Depends how loud, everyone's ears do that. It's the Eustachian tubes stretching. For me it's the loudest thing I hear when I swallow, and it randomly cracks when I don't. It will also crack if I have a slight change in elevation.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mr Worried
      Dreaming

Mr Worried Member

Tinnitus Since:
      august 2017-july 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It was a GP. All the nearby ENTs I called beforehand said they needed a referral, so I just went to my regular doctor to get an idea of what I'm up against, and get a referral if need be.

All he did was look into my ears with a device, as well as check my blood pressure and mouth. I'm new to these kind of problems, so I have no idea if that was sufficient or not

15. Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      Nope. You will be fine but make sure you are using the spray correctly.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      I also get this "ear cracking" too when I swallow but it is not consistent. It's a very strange occurrence and I've often wondered about it. I have no idea what suddenly brings it on and then disappears.

17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is good for you that it disappears. Mine never seems to disappear...

18. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI,

Many things can cause tinnitus but the most common is exposure to loud sounds. Do you listen to music regularly through headphones or attend places where loud music is played? Do you work in a noisy environment? If it isn't louds sounds that caused the tinnitus then it could be a medical problem and there are many. Tinnitus sometimes comes and goes for no apparent reason. An ear infection or build up of earwax can cause it. It would help if you let us know if you use headphones regularly or go to clubs, concerts or the cinema where louds sounds are played.

A referral to ENT for tests is advised particularly if the cause isn't exposure to loud sounds. Please click on the link below and read my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View, that you might find helpful.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mr Worried
      Dreaming

Mr Worried Member

Tinnitus Since:
      august 2017-july 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Would you happen to know a decent guide/video that shows you how to do it?

I'm pretty sure I'm doing it terribly wrong

20. Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mr Worried
      Dreaming