New Here, but Not to Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by deelinn, Sep 26, 2015.

1. deelinn
      Fine

deelinn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      I have had tinnitus since 2008 and in the beginning it was in both ears and felt like it was flowing through my brain. I had many really bad days and months . I saw multiple doctors, ENTs, MDs, Dental, etc....and also had both a MRI and a CAT scan. Everything was negative and no known cause could be found. I also suffered from vertigo and still do once in awhile. I am healthy and take no medications.
      In the beginning, I could not function to the point that I could not leave the house. I tried masking devices and a white noise device, none helped. Eventually, over the years, I have learned to live with this noise. I have many good days, but I still have very bad days, too. The level of my tinnitus fluctuates, mostly depending on stress and lack of sleep. I still hold out hope that one day I will have silence again, but if it does not happen, I will be okay. It has taken time to learn to live with this noise , but I did and I lead a normal life again.

• Winner Winner x 1
    2. user5871

user5871 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      With your experience and success, what advice would you give to people who have just recently developed tinnitus?

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Thanks for the positive post and welcome. Perhaps you should write a more detailed success story to help the newbies. You have overcome intense initial suffering and now living a normal life. That should be an incredible and inspiring story to share for the suffering folks. Sometimes people need to read how others had gone from 'hell' and back to know that it is possible to turn around despite the dark initial suffering. Congrats to your success and you are welcome to stay around to TT to contribute your insights.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      deelinn
      Fine

deelinn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      The road to a normal life was not easy. I thought I would lose my mind at one point, I even contemplating not living any more. In the beginning, my tinnitus was extremely loud and I was locked in my head, almost like being under water with a millions cicadas for company. I was only able to sleep a few hours during the night and I began to lose weight from the stress. I looked like a walking zombie. I could not go out because the sounds made my tinnitus louder. My GP finally told me that he thought I needed help to learn how to live again. He gave me Valium to relax me because the lack of sleep and stress were making the situation worse. I joined a support group with others that had tinnitus so I would not feel so alone and misunderstood.
      My saving grace was learning everything I could about tinnitus. I had no known cause and the initial medications the Dr.s had given me did not help.

My first step was acceptance of something I could not control.
      My second step was deciding that I wanted to live a full life.
      My last step was hoping for a cure, but not counting on it.
      And I loved my children and had to become healthy and happy to enrich their lives.

I began learning how to sleep in a quiet room with none of the masking devices the doctors had given me. I picture beautiful images and my children and I finally learned to sleep through the night again.
      I also began to stop focusing on my tinnitus. For instance, I hear it loudly now because I am thinking of it.
      There are small things I avoid, like anything aspirin based and before I take any medications, I talk to my doctors and discuss whether it will affect my tinnitus.
      I wish I did not have this, but all these years later, it is manageable. And I am happy and my life is full again.

• Winner Winner x 1