New Member — My Hearing Is Extremely Good Despite Tinnitus, Is This Odd?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by bdrob, Dec 12, 2016.

1. bdrob

bdrob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      hello. i am new to the forum and want to ask a question concerning hearing. i have yet to read through the forum so excuse my ignorance at this time.
      i have very high pitched constant metallic sound with fluctuating levels. i have cricket-like sound also. i have waves of sound almost like a fluid washing back and forth. these are all i can write about because anything that is not working me at the moment, i have deleted from memory. but it'll be back.
      here's my deal with hearing. i can hear a pin drop in another room all at the same time my tinnitus is screaming. is this odd? i read a lot about tinnitus and hearing loss but i hear extremely well. thanks

2. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      Tinnitus and Hyperacusis are weird as hell, and everybodies experience/description of it can be different, so when you ask if your symptoms are "odd" I would say no not at all on this forum, but these horrible conditions are very "odd" in general and very difficult. What you describe about being able to hear a pin drop while having tinnitus is likely related to Hyperacusis.

What do you mean by this? I guess you mean there are some tinnitus symptoms you habituated to?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bdrob

bdrob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      my meaning was that i have many different sounds that vary in modulation and intensity and that the ones that i could describe were the ones present at this time.

• Like Like x 1
    4. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi bdrob,

Welcome to the site.

Have you been to an ENT for a professional evaluation of your ears, accompanies by a hearing test?

Also, you noted that you have had tinnitus since 2000, which is quite a long time. I would think you would have habituated by now?

5. Duell

Duell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nerve damage to sheath around nerves from noise of big gun.
      The ringing is my ears is present and loud all the time. The protective sheath around the nerves in my ear was severely damaged when shooting a very large gun with a very hot load from a joke played on me by a man I loved like a brother. It gets worse when I am exposed to loud noises of any kind. It's almost unbearable and I have tried to get help from ENT doctors, years ago, but to no avail. Is there anything that will help me get significantly better?
      Thank you.

Duell

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      How did you get diagnosed specifically to know the protective sheath around the nerves in your ear was damaged? People also talk about hair cells etc. Did you get an mri? I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you, I don't know what will make it better but im on here trying to find out. Magnesium citrate, and epsom salt baths, and holy basil might help when you are stressed out from the sound (thats what I use), but as for literally making the sound stop, we are all here searching for answers.