Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Angeluhh, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Angeluhh

Angeluhh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no idea
      ... but I've been suffering from pulsatile tinnitus in my right ear for probably a decade or so. I have no idea why--I've always avoided loud noises whenever I could and I don't have any memory of an ear-damaging experience. Lately it's been extra annoying, in that I'll hear that turbulent fluid flow in my right ear and sometimes when it's quiet at night, I'll get a single high-pitched tone playing in my left ear. Sometimes I feel like everything else in this would could be bearable if I could just stop hearing my blood pumping through my veins!

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Angeluhh,

I know what you mean! I have both pulsatile and regular tinnitus in my right ear, and I think it would all be more bearable if the pulsating part of it would stop.

Have you been to any doctors about your pulsatile tinnitus? Had any tests?

I've had a CT scan, MRI/MRA, and Doppler of the carotid arteries. So far, nothing has been found.

I wish you well, and am glad you've joined us here on Tinnitus Talk!

Best wishes,
      Karen

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Angeluhh

Angeluhh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no idea
      I went to an ENT, years ago, and he prescribed several consecutive courses of prednisone along with an MRI that wiped out my bank account (I had really lousy insurance at the time) and showed nothing. He sent me away with instructions to stretch my neck, and nothing has gotten better.
      Since that time I haven't bothered going back to a doctor about it because I feel like I might as well flush my money down the toilet for all the good it'll do. I realize that's a terrible attitude to have, so maybe I should make an appointment. At the very least, if there's something that an MRI or other imaging could show, maybe it will have grown large enough by now to show up.

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Yes, it might be worthwhile to do that. At least, it would ease your mind to know for sure that there is nothing dangerous causing your pulsating.

If you don't feel that an ENT would be willing and able to help you, you could try a neurologist or neurotologist.
      They often have more knowledge about PT, and might take more time helping you explore possible causes.

Good luck, and please do update us if you decide to go back for more testing.

Best wishes,
      Karen