New to the Forum — Possible ETD?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by dongy789, Jun 2, 2018.

1. dongy789

dongy789 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Hey there. I'm Dave, 38 from England.

Over the last couple of weeks, I have noticed some ringing/hissing in only my right ear. This has now worsened with the ear now being clogged causing my hearing in that ear to be very muffled.

I have been researching a lot and think I might be suffering some eustachian tube problems.

The thing is, I think this might have all been a bit self induced. For several years, my job gives me the opportunity the listen to podcasts, and I do this using ear buds. But only ever in the right ear which is the one affected. I also have the worst pillows, and for many years, my sleep position would be on the bad side, with my hand under the pillow, effectively 'sealing' off the right ear.

I think I used to suffer a little TMJ, but currently am experiencing no jaw pain or clicking or any other TMJ symptoms.

I also have some neck pain and shoulder pain, but I think a lot of that is related to my job, which is pretty physical. I'm sure the crappy pillows dont help with that.

When I push just underneath my earlobe, I can hear it sort of crackling.

Occasionally, the ear will pop clear, but that now only lasts a couple of seconds.

I have been using olive oil ear drops. but do you think I could rule out ear wax...there doesn't seem to be any coming from the ear.

The main annoyance is the muffled ear and feeling of fullness in the ear, along with the tinnitus.

Just wanted to share and reach out to this awesome community and see if anyone had any tips or thoughts? I realise my story is like so many others. This is all just getting me down a bit.

Kind Regards,

DAVE

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @dongy789 ,
      I am from England too!
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk.
      I would pop in see your doctor get your ears checked and maybe give you a nasal spray help clear your tubes...
      Love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dongy789

dongy789 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Thanks.

Yes, I do plan on getting in to see the doctor. Do you think they will be able to see if it's a etd issue? And are nasal sprays usually good to unblock the tubes?

It's weird, cos I haven't had a cold or any sinus issues.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      ETD is diagnosed by ENT .
      A spray can help and steam inhalation.
      Allergies can also be a problem like grass and tree pollen this time of year.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    5. Dawn Bakke
      Approved

Dawn Bakke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fluid behind the ears rum
      Hi Dave. I to have this problem. It started in March and I still suffer. The balance issue and the plugged feeling are what bother me. I have no clue how it happened either. No cold and I am a manager at a independent living facility so nothing to damage the ear. IO agree with the nasal spray. Floniase helps me a little. My ENT doctor tried prediazone. It helped some but,no quick fix. I was told I had to wait it out. It could take months .I use a antihistamine called Xyzal. That is very good.I also have used this exercise. Pull your ear lobes straight to the side,stick out your chin then open and close your mouth. Repeat these steps about 20 times a few times a day and you will hear it pop open. I found that on YouTube. Other than that I have no other suggestions. I to am waiting it out hoping that the weather in Ct improves and this allergy season passes. Normally I am not bothered but,every so often I have a bad year and this is one of them. I rolled over in bed one night heard a swoosh and have been plugged on and of since. Oh yes you could try Afrin nasal spray or any one like those but,only for 3 days at the max for it backs everything right up if you do it longer