New to the Forum But Had Tinnitus for 34 Years

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Chris Couper, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Chris Couper
      Flirty

Chris Couper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise.
      Hallo, to all on the forum. I have been reading your posts and have been moved by them. There seems to be a big variation to how people cope and the big differences in types of noise they hear. I thought there was only one noise like mine.

When I first had T. I was a bit worried so I went to my local hospital where a self help group was just starting up. One member had flown Spitfires in WW Two. 'well no wonder' I thought, But his comment was 'don't take any notice of it' I reasoned as to how the hell do you do that, but I tried and found as time went by he was right it can be done......

I am now 73 and that was 34 years ago and I don't give it a thought now. Not the Spitfire pilot, I mean the tinnitus. I hope this may be of some help to someone and I shall continue reading your interesting posts. Chris.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Christo
      Amazed

Christo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possible ear infection
      Thanks Chris. I am very new to tinnitus so knowing that one can live and even thrive with it really makes it easier.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Chris you are a star and I'm sure you will be able to support other members on here when you have the time.
      Positive posts will help so many members...lots of love glynis

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      How have you been dealing with noisy environments during this time??

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Couper
      Flirty

Chris Couper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise.
      Hi JasonC, Noise such as from a diesel engine or work noise does bring on the tinnitus. If I travel a couple of hours in a car or have a day on my boat then the next day is one of noisey ears. This then settles down to a quieter level. I can cope with this and don't really give it a thought. Ear plugs here don't make much difference but do help. For instance, I would not use an angle grinder or a circular saw without ear defenders on. Chris.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Couper
      Flirty

Chris Couper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise.
      Hi Glynis, Thanks for your message, I am not sure where to make a reply but hope this is the right place. You seem to have a very positive attitude to all this which is great. I personally just do what ever I feel like at the time ,like eating, drinking, being in places where there is noise, having an occasional smoke-o and then ignore the consequences.!! Anyway at my age, Ho Ho, that tinnitus of mine (which is a high pitch hiss) simply reminds me of how lovely it is to be alive, and be otherwise OK .. Chris.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      Inspiring!