New to the Madness

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Chad Harmon, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Chad Harmon

Chad Harmon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello. I was diagnosed with depression 25 years ago and have had little to no luck with medication. Just over five years ago tinnitus began and has gotten progressively worse throughout the years and now it seems months. Between the depression and the tinnitus I feel I'm living in complete madness.

I've tried all the holistic approaches, all the so called over the counter "medications", been to numerous ENT's and audiologists, have even tried Starkey/Audibel tinnitus masking hearing aids. Nothing is working to relieve the symptoms and stress even a bit. I'm currently not able to work and have a difficult time socializing.

I'm going to begin TMS treatment for my depression tomorrow, and I've heard in some cases it has helped relieve tinnitus enough to make it manageable. I'm also going to start cognitive training, special to tinnitus, to help retrain my brain.

Am I approaching correctly? Anything I could also do? I'm in a bad place right now and I'm looking for even the smallest glimmer of hope.

Thank you for listening,
      -chad.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      Hi @Chad Harmon! I've read that rTMS has been found to be quite effective in the face of intractable depression. However, the evidence regarding its effectiveness for tinnitus, is still sketchy. It definitely needs to be targeted precisely and people on TT have spoken of having an fMRI prior to magnetic therapy, to localise the exact points in the brain that require treatment. Something to discuss with your therapist.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You might want to find a clinic that specializes in treating tinnitus.

Also check out the attached pdf file. It shows the rTMS settings that were found to be effective for treating tinnitus. If you can't find an rTMS facility that specializes in treating T, at least show this paper to technicians at your facility and ask them to use the same settings...

Attached Files:

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      In case you live on the East Coast of Canada, here is a clinic in Montreal that specializes in using rTMS to treat T:
      http://www.monacouphene.ca/en/

5. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      When holistic approaches don't work, one way forward is to increase the dosage:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...deal-with-tinnitus-suffering.8165/#post-96760

(The post is too wordy and a bit poorly edited, but the info in itself holds up.)

• Like Like x 1
    6. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello @Chad Harmon , and welcome.

You have come to the right place. Most of us (if not all) have been there. Depression and tinnitus are frequent companions. As you read posts on this forum you will find that many (if not most) tinnitus sufferers also experience depression and anxiety. You are not alone, and hopefully that fact brings you some comfort.

I know nothing about TMS. For your depression I am assuming you have tried cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), or psychodynamic therapy. I have had success with the later and know people who have had success with the former.

Again, that is common. tT is important to try and maintain a positive attitude. I know it is difficult, especially for those of us who suffer from depression as well, but it does help with coping with tinnitus.

@billie48 wrote his success story demonstrating how positivity helped him habituate.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

@Michael Leigh wrote the following, excellent post on negativity and tinnitus:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

And, for what it is worth, you have found a community of people who truly understand what you are going through. This forum is filled with caring, compassionate, and sympathetic people who are always willing to give their support to a fellow tinnitus sufferer. People are on this forum practically 24 hours a day and 7 days per week. As miserable as tinnitus can be, you are here now and you have found people who will provide support. You do not have to fight this alone, we are here and we will help.

• Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      This clinic performs an intensive tinnitus treatment program with among others rTMS assisted with QEEG? Bill are you aware of something similar in Europe? rTMS guided with EEG or fMRI?

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Sorry, this is the only clinic like that that I am aware of. Perhaps if you contact them, they will be able to point you to similar clinics in Europe...

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chad Harmon

Chad Harmon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wow! Thank you all for being so supportive. I believe I've come to the right place and hopefully will make friends along the way to share stories. Thank you for making me comfortable. Everyone seems open, caring and compassionate.
      -chad

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    10. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There probably are clinics that perform this kind of therapy in Europe @vermillion, but I know definitely that there is one in Turkey, that Melike went to. She says it wasn't successful for her, but that it was for some of her friends. It sounded comparatively low in cost compared to others, too.

• Informative Informative x 2
    11. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Thank you. I suppose I have to contact @Melike. Btw in Europe it's always cheaper. USs' health care expenses are insane. I suppose Canada's too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I have a clinic near me but I thought tms was for depression. Have they been doing tms on T for awhile. I guess it hit or miss. I had an MRI. What is the understanding of tms? I thought it did not work for T?

13. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      At the moment rTMS has proven efficacy in the treatment of depression. Not so however, for tinnitus. The jury is still out, but it has not stopped some clinics from performing the treatment on willing individuals.

14. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      TY for getting back to me, I'll look into it. I live in the US. But I'm surprised the medical professionals have not looked at it more in-depth or try to enhance on it, due to I think T is more of the brain for everyone.